Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 True Vintage owners/players: Opinions? Critique?

Old Neil

When enquiring about the 1942 Legend guitar a while back, some good comments came up in passing about the the J-45 TV. I would love to hear from those who either own or have played the TV particularly in regard to how the tone and neck feel compare to the standard J-45. Thanks.

since i have no personal experience with the guitar in question, i did a search and here is what it revealed.

on june 26th, our forum mate, space pup, wrote the following...

"Gibson truely hit the nail on the head when they introduced the True Vintage series of acoustic guitars. The True Vintage series currently consists if the SJ-200, J-185, Hummingbird, J-45 and the Southern Jumbo. My review will deal with the J-45 only since I just added it to my collection.

The J-45 True Vintage combines a Honduran Mahogany body & neck, Select Sitka Spruce top, and Madagascar Rosewood fretboard & bridge to prodeuce a guitar that has a rich, mellow, and balanced tone with crisp highs that give off that classic Gibson jangle. Strumming the J-45 True Vintage I quickly noticed how the chords flow smoothly one to another without any cross blending or piling on top of each other. This produces a vintage tone that shines on songs like "The Narrow Way, Part 1" and "Like a Rolling Stone". The 24.75" scale not only makes both flat and finger picking a breeze but allows each note to ring out full and clear. This Literally brings songs like "Kind Hearted Woman" to life. The "cursive" Gibson logo and "Only a Gibson is Good Enough" banner on the headstock along with the brown case with pink liner complete the True Vintage effect. The only drawback I could find is that the J-45 True Vintage does not have a pick up so for those of you who record or play live the J-45 True Vintage will require an external mic.

The J-45 True Vintage is the perfect guitar for those of us who love the classic Gibson sound but can't afford a real 1940's Gibson. It's easy to see why the J-45 has such a devotion among players as the "go to" guitar for the studio as well as the stage and why artists from all styles of music have given the J-45 the nickname "The Workhorse". If you get a chance to play the J-45 True Vintage, I'm sure you'll find it to be nothing short of a real tone monster. "

this review is from harmony central....

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Acoustic+Guitar/product/Gibson/J-45+True+Vintage+Special+Edition/10/1

this was all i could find through google. another forum mate of ours, JK, should have some valuable input as well.

the guitar certainly seems to be worth the extra 5-600 bucks and a sentiment that runs through many of these threads is that bozeman is presently building consistently great guitars. i can testify to that.

i hope this helps.

I had a chance to check out several this week. The TVs were responsive, a little better balanced across the spectrum. The stds were a tad thinner overall, and had some harshness in the trebles, though they could have benifted from a set up and string change. Necks were similar-wide C's. FWIW, I wouldnt say the TV is [ooops] ISNT exactly a vintage sound, just a good modern slope J. If vintage tone is the object the Legend, OJ, and J35 issues have it.

"Have a butchers"............................? What does that mean lad? Youse guys sure do talk funny!!!!

Most folk have to pay for an education but as it's you here's the answer and a few more to ponder.

"have a butchers at that magazine" (butcher's hook = look)

"I haven't heard a dicky bird about it" (dickie bird = word)

"Use your loaf and think next time" (loaf of bread = head)

"Did you half-inch that car?" (half-inch = pinch, meaning steal)

"You will have to speak up, he's a bit mutton" (mutt'n'jeff = deaf)

"I'm going on my tod" (tod sloan = alone, or own)

"Are you telling porkies?" (porkies = pork pies = lies)

"Are you going to rabbit all night?" (rabbit and pork = talk)

"Scarper lads! The police are coming" (scarpa flow = go)

Here's a small selection of general, but older, currently used expressions:

ruby murray = curry

barnet fair = hair

currant bun = sun

hampstead heath = teeth

deep sea diver = fiver (a monetary note)

mince pies = eyes

china plate = mate

pen and ink = stink

septic tank = yank (a person from the U.S.)

whistle and flute = suit

Cockney slang dude, you got 11 months to become fluent!

BR

John

But gearbasher - you have entirely missed the trick.....

We don't use the full expression. When I go to the pub, I may order:

'A gold on it's todd, a Vera n'Philly and a couple of pigs'

The full order WOULD have been:

'A scotch, no ice and no soda, a gin and tonic and two pints of your finest beer'

The full (but NEVER used slang would have been:

'A gold watch on its Sweeney Todd, a Vera Lynn and Philharmonic and a couple of pig's ears'

As you see - each progressively longer than the slang version.

Also - you miss the entire point - which is NOT brevity, but exclusivity. Two Cockneys can have an entire conversation whilst poncy toffs and rustic yokels will not have a clue what they are talking about.

And you chaps contribute too - people now ask for a couple of Brittney's, Brittney Spears, Beers!

Toodle pip old stick, off for a pimple in the Osama.....

Archived