Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Explorer 1958 "Korina". ?

97LPClassic

Hey gang,

I've owed numerous epis in the past (most current is a beautiful Dot).

Although I tend to only purchase US made guitars, not really for snobbery but solely on quality/craftsmanship. So, that being said, I have been eyeing an Explorer again for years. I have seen US made versions for around 650-1300 but almost all of them have the sa

E pickups as my Gibson LP Classic (496 & 500). So I keep seeing these beautiful Epi Korina Explorers for 415-499. Also, from reading all of the customer reviews, they damn near sound like they play themselves!

Anybody have input on the korina Explorers !?!?!?

Hopefully, my buddy Maniak will read this and post some picks and information on his Explorer. He owns not only the Explorer, but the Flying V and a Korina SG as well ... beautiful collection!

I have the '58 Korina Flying V and it is one great guitar at an amazing price.

Jim

Sany0116.jpg

If you could even find a standard mahogany Explorer, I would recommend that. (Not over the korina Explorer, though.)

I love mine. It's made of really resonant pieces of mahogany. (I think it's 2 piece body, but I can't be totally sure.)

What I'm saying is if you can't find the korina Explorer, try a standard Explorer. Ya just might like it!

25418_1421051365682_1214625898_31192758_1031623_n.jpg

I played around with a Korina Explorer in a music shop back when I was looking for the one I eventually bought. It was impressively light and resonant (I never plugged it in.) Ultimately the color just wasn't for me though, and I ended up with a Goth Explorer (same guitar but all mahogany and painted matte black.)

It's not quite up to the build quality of my Prophecy LP (Which I honestly believe could go toe-to-toe with any Gibson I've played, it's just immaculate) but it's much more fun to play; it's quite a bit livelier and more comfortable.

Archived