Gibson Brands Forums

Boss DS-1

Get a Digitech Hot Head. Cheaper than a DS-1 in most cases, and I think the guy said it was better than one too. A little bit noisy at high gain, but a really nice distortion sound. I run it with my Valve Junior and it sounds brilliant! The 2 band EQ makes it really easy to dial in a great tone, especially with the VJ on which I have to turn the bass up heaps to get a nice sound. Just the treble of the 8" combo playing it's part.

So all a DS1 can do is just make noise huh? What difference does it make if it sounds like a tube amp or not? I can see your point of view from a builder type, maybe, but from a musician type I don't. Keyword is 'subjective'. The DS1, to me, makes for a lovely boost. Much like a TS9 or BD2 just grittier. To use a DS1 with whatever amp you use may or may not work for whatever you are doing. To not even try it because it's only a $30 pedal is to bad really. Good tone can come from the oddest of places. Again, try one out. If you like it buy it. If you feel the need to impress others and not yourself then spend $300 on a boutique pedal that you might or might not like.

Hmm' date=' this may turn into a ' best dirt box " forum , my Keeley mod Blues Driver has been the most versatile and usable distortion pedal so far. That thing and an eq pedal = everything except mega metal distortion[/quote']

Overdrive pedals are not the same as Distortion pedals.

A Blues Driver is not a good distortion pedal for the very reason you sighted.

The Blues Driver IS a good Overdrive pedal.

However, the poster is asking about a Distortion pedal.

I don't own any, nor have I, so I'm not a good one to ask.

So all a DS1 can do is just make noise huh?

It can make noise, yes.

What difference does it make if it sounds like a tube amp or not?

None, if that doesn't matter to you. It's a purely subjective POV. I happen to think that the best distortion comes from an overdriven tube amp. Some prefer SS. I was just pointing out that the DS1 does NOT sound or feel like a tube amp.

I can see your point of view from a builder type, maybe, but from a musician type I don't.

Actually, since feel is a considerable factor in inspiration, I'd say that it's very important from a musician's POV. Again, it's what moves the individual. I personally have never been moved by my DS1, either before or after I Keeley modded it. I've got numerous circuits that sound significantly better to my ears, and work far better with my amps than the DS1. Again, it's subjective.

If you feel the need to impress others and not yourself then spend $300 on a boutique pedal that you might or might not like.

Believe it or not, some of those cork sniffer circuits actually sound pretty darn nice. I'd never pay $300 for something that I could build myself for $60-$80, but I will say that some of them are pretty awesome sounding circuits.

I personally recommend everyone have a DS1, if for no other reason than to say that they've tried it. It's as common as dirt, and there's got to be some reason for that, other than price alone. It clearly seems to be working to inspire some! The Keeley mods are a huge improvement to the original, btw, but still not to my personal liking. It's still a pretty harsh, artificial sound to me, BUT, that's subjective!

Well since were discussing the ds-1' date=' i went to sell one of mine on craigslist , and started getting questions about japanese or taiwan-ese , they were willing to spend a lot more for the japanese version. can someone explain why

[/quote']

Rarity and snob appeal. The ones from Japan MUST be better because they're older! [cool]

Also, I actually don't use my DS-1 as a straight up distortion pedal, I use it as a booster. For those time when I just need a little moar...

Personally, I'd seriously listen to m-theory's advice - he knows what he's talkin' 'bout...

I appreciate that, and I do have a lot of experience, BUT, I try not to dissuade or too heavily promote one specific item over another, because everybody uses their stuff differently, so what might work awesome for me, might sound terrible for others, and visa versa.

I run my amps on the hot side, so that I can dial the guitar volume to go from "clean" to crunch dirty. I use 3 pedal dirt circuits, all of which I use for solo boosting...a powerful overdrive/boost, a distortion, and a dirty boost.

That's what works for ME, but certainly not everybody. That's why I TRY to leave these types of discussions open. This particular pedal isn't very impressive in stock form. Modded, it's much better, but it's still not a great pedal, imo. HOWEVER, it DOES work for some (Steve Vai uses a Keeley modded DS1, as I recall), so, at $30 or whatever, it's certainly worth anyone who's interested, trying it out for themselves.

Rarity and snob appeal. The ones from Japan MUST be better because they're older!

The older ones used a different op amp, so they probably do sound different. Better or not remains a purely subjective opinion.

• 5 weeks later...

I had one and got rid of it immediately. I just couldn't get a good tone out of it. I ended up buying a Zoom John 5 Signature Series effects pedal, which I still have. You can get them at www.americanmusical.com for $60.00. Best sounding pedal I've ever had.

• 10 years later...
  • 1 year later...

The ds1 has alot of tonal variation considering it's a single tone knob. It's been used on countless recordings for a reason. Not because it's great. But it can sound really good with the right guitar and amp.  I had one like 20 yrs ago, it didn't stand out among pedals but it's not useless. I'd try it out if you can, because it does have a distinct sound through any amp that's hard to get rid of, if your not a fan