Gibson Brands Forums

Asking for general infomation.

Figstrum

I already play a bit of guitar, and I am thinking on taking up the bass also. Could anyone recomend a decent learning program or websites? I would appreciate any info regarding strings, scale, bass brands, etc....

Kinda weird there is not more threads pertaining to bass questions.

Thank you in advance.

Regarding gear: Squire basses and Hartke amps. Inexpensive VERY GOOD quality beginner/intermediate gear.

+1 on the Squier, as always. Best bang for your buck.

Not too big on Hartkes, though. What kind type of amp are you thinking of getting? Combo? Solid State or Tube? Are you playing with a band, or just alone at home? Or maybe something that can handle a bit of both?

You may want to decide on this as, I'm sure you know that amps are hella expensive and it takes twice the wattage to keep up with a guitar amp if you are playing in a band situation. And then there is the whole Ohm thing.

Figstrum, what is your price range?

And I vote a big fat NO on the Peavey Microjunk. For about the same money you can get an Acoustic B-20 with a 12" speaker and a few extra bells and whistles...not to mention that the Acoustic brand is highly regarded in the bass world. Peavey, not so much.

Do you have small hands? You might want to consider a short scale bass. One of the reasons Paul McCartney bought his first Hofner (short scale) was because he was transitioning from guitar to bass. After a few years he went on to full scale Rickenbackers, but I read it may have been more because Rickenbacker gave him the bass for free.

Also, what style do you play? Hard to beat an Epiphone for rock & roll, but a Squier Modified Jazz Bass is more versatile for different styles.

Kinda weird there is not more threads pertaining to bass questions.

Thank you in advance.

That's probably because all the bass players are over on the Fender site. This sections a sad and lonely place.

Figstrum' date=' what is your price range?

And I vote a big fat NO on the Peavey Microjunk. For about the same money you can get an Acoustic B-20 with a 12" speaker and a few extra bells and whistles...not to mention that the Acoustic brand is highly regarded in the bass world. Peavey, not so much.

[/quote']

[crying]Sniff...

Figstrum' date=' what is your price range?

[/quote']

:)

That's a bit harsh...my 20W "Microjunk" does a great job with all my basses. Even with a drummer playing along.

(Although I must admit I have removed the logo. Always hated that 80's design)

You can keep up with a drummer with a 20 watt bass amp?

Ok, maybe I was being a little harsh, but I've had enough of those little Peavey bass amps to know that there are much better amps for the same price. $135 for any bass amp with a single 8" speaker is a terrible investment. I'm not trying to knock your amp, but I've owned plenty of those little Peaveys, Crates and Gorrillas back in the day. I just cant recommend any of them.

Well, I guess you're right about it being a little overpriced, but at least its simple, reliable, and it sounds good (I've played far crappier amps along the years).

I bought it when I started playing and I could've found much worse^^

I kind of equate amps like that to being for kids just starting out and Dad not knowing if Junior is going to stick with it. I really feel that most of those small amps are overpriced. But its even worse when you have brands like Peavey and Crate selling budget amps at a premium price. And you know its out of whack when they sell for $150 retail and you'd be lucky to get $35 for them on Craigslist.

I guess thats why I called it junk. The price greatly outweighs the quality on a great deal of these practice amps.

[angry]

That's a bit harsh...my 20W "Microjunk" does a great job with all my basses. Even with a drummer playing along.

(Although I must admit I have removed the logo. Always hated that 80's design)

tomtom: For a Parisian... you're kinda cool[biggrin]! So what gear to you play now?

Robin: :-k...#-o ... but Acoustic huh:-k. Valve? And you could do with a signature mod too (please)!

I have a feeling I'm really going to eat it for dogging on the Microbass :-#[cool]

Nah... it's all good Bros.[cool] 'The Weirdbird' (recently Pleked to perfection) really does deserve something a bit better... but the Peavey actually does pump it out pretty well for a little amp' date=' & I wouldn't hesitate recommending to [b']Figstrum[/b] as an option to consider.

So, are the 'Acoustic' amps valve or what? And what are your thoughts on the valve v/s ss debate when it comes to bass amps?

In my glory days I had a Marshall 100w stack w/ 8 x 12". It was awesome, but probably just a bit much for my loungeroom these days.[biggrin]

gadunz: Your Yorkville looks pretty cool... What's the deal with them?

tomtom: My wife, very young kids & myself actually lived in the 15th Arrondisement for a couple of months in 1996, prior to my securing work in the UK for a couple of years... I do miss 'Fauchon'... but just dont say I said that anywhere near the 'Epi Biggest Loser' thread in the Lounge... I am meant to be shedding weight, but will leave you guys to it now to go & have a half decent croissant for Sunday breakfast.:-$

Great to see some life down in the Southern end of the forum again... thanks[biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

For a bass, I'm going against the Epiphone advice and I will suggest a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass. The maple bodied, maple neck with block inlays. That thing is the best deal going on a bass. The pickups are great, and the Jazz has a great reputation for versatility. The new Squier basses are solid instruments.

And for the amp....Peavey has an excellent reputation, but any amp that is small is going to get ragged on. For my money, I would be looking at the Acoustic with the 100w and the 15 minimum if you plan to play with a band. 200W and a 15 would be better. I like 15's better than 10's for bass....

Would like to get into a full tube though.

I'm not a big fan of all-tube bass amps. I much prefer a hybrid with a tube pre-amp and solid state power amp. You get 90% the sound of an all tube with the portability and massive wattages of soild state. Example: Carvin has a head with 2 12AX7s that puts out 1600 watts. Yes. SIXTEEN HUNDRED watts. You're pretty much set for life with a 1600 watt amp.

Like I said I really like Hartke for the budget option, especially the "Kick Back' series.120 watts with a 12, 15 or 18. They're great for small gigs they've got a line out that you run to PA, and a tilt-back notch so you use the whole combo as your monitor. Plus you get the aluminum cone speaker(s) which work exceptionally well for 6 string guitar as well as bass.

Acoustics are not tube, they are solid state, but they are built with more character than say a solid state 'clean' amp like a SWR or Eden. I like the 'vintage' character of the sound, and if you need a cool little 'stack' check out the Acoustic 260, 100W and one ten. I was quite impressed with it....plenty loud for practice....

I like tube bass amp sounds....used to have a 65 Ampeg B-15-n and loved it, but at only 40 or so watts, it just wasn't enough. And, those 40 watts were heavy.I really liked the 100W head Ampeg had a few years ago...but it wasn't light either.

I agree, the tube preamp with solid state power section wins....and that carvin is real nice. I could be satisfied with the BX-500 (http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BX500) 300W at 8 ohms and a GOOD 15 would be plenty for me!!

I'm not a big fan of all-tube bass amps. I much prefer a hybrid with a tube pre-amp and solid state power amp. You get 90% the sound of an all tube with the portability and massive wattages of soild state. Example: Carvin has a head with 2 12AX7s that puts out 1600 watts. Yes. SIXTEEN HUNDRED watts. You're pretty much set for life with a 1600 watt amp.

Like I said I really like Hartke for the budget option' date=' especially the "Kick Back' series.120 watts with a 12, 15 or 18. They're great for small gigs they've got a line out that you run to PA, and a tilt-back notch so you use the whole combo as your monitor. Plus you get the aluminum cone speaker(s) which work exceptionally well for 6 string guitar as well as bass.[/quote']

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably be upgrading within the next couple years. I'll look into those for sure.

I like portability.

Archived