Gibson Brands Forums

Asking for general infomation.

Figstrum

tomtom: I would quite happily blow my neighbours off the face of the planet[angry]. Perhaps I need Hungry's Carvin rig[blink]

Hungry:...but Hartke combos huh:-k . The options just get more interesting all the time. Have you tried the Kustom combos I mentioned above &, if so, how did they compare? & then there's the Ampeg combos jwalin mentions[confused]

jwalin:& WT... is the bass in your avatar man???

Figstrum' date=' what is your price range?

And I vote a big fat NO on the Peavey Microjunk. For about the same money you can get an Acoustic B-20 with a 12" speaker and a few extra bells and whistles...not to mention that the Acoustic brand is highly regarded in the bass world. Peavey, not so much.

[/quote']

I'm a guitar player who is, for the first time, playing bass in my current project. I actually already had a GK Backline 210 that I bought for jams at my house, but I wasn't really hot on dragging it to another practice space (70+ pounds).

I picked up a used Acoustic B20 at Guitar Center for $59.00 in order to have something I could take to practice in one hand. This isn't a really loud band, so it more than keeps up even with drums. Anyway, the drummer and guitar player were both extremely complimentary of the amp and love how it's both punchy and warm.

I'm a guitar player who is' date=' for the first time, playing bass in my current project. I actually already had a GK Backline 210 that I bought for jams at my house, but I wasn't really hot on dragging it to another practice space (70+ pounds).

I picked up a used Acoustic B20 at Guitar Center for $59.00 in order to have something I could take to practice in one hand. This isn't a really loud band, so it more than keeps up even with drums. Anyway, the drummer and guitar player were both extremely complimentary of the amp and love how it's both punchy and warm. [/quote']

That 12" speaker makes all the difference in the world when in comes to not only depth of sound, but volume as well. I am of the opinion that for a single speaker combo amp, 12" is the minimum size worth bothering with.

I typically use a GK 410T for gigging. I found that it works great in a small room, but lacks oomph in a larger venue or outside. If I had known when I bought it, I would have gotten a 212 or the 115B to go with it. I use a Randall 215 at practice. Its a real beast. Too big to take to most gigs.

Perhaps I need Hungry's Carvin rig[blink]

Well' date=' it's not mine, it's my dad's. And its ONLY the 1000 watt version[biggrin']

Hungry:...but Hartke combos huh:-k . The options just get more interesting all the time. Have you tried the Kustom combos I mentioned above &' date=' if so, how did they compare? & then there's the Ampeg combos [b']jwalin[/b] mentions[confused]

I've never tried Kustom bass amps. If they're like the guitar amps, then just stay away from the low-end stuff, and you'll be fine. Ampegs tend to be fat and woolly sounding, while the Hartkes are usually pretty bright and snappy (since the majority of them have the aluminum cone speakers)I like the bright and snappy better, and I've found that it's easier to dail out some brightness with an EQ, than it is to make a fuzzy amp sound bright. Plus the Hartke aluminum cone speakers sound fantabulous with guitar too, especially if you're using a lot of effects.

Basically it comes down to this: Ampegs are the bass amps of classic rock, while Hartkes are the amps of the modern funk and fusion player.

I've never tried Kustom bass amps. If they're like the guitar amps' date=' then just stay away from the low-end stuff, and you'll be fine. Ampegs tend to be fat and woolly sounding, while the Hartkes are usually pretty bright and snappy (since the majority of them have the aluminum cone speakers)I like the bright and snappy better, and I've found that it's easier to dail out some brightness with an EQ, than it is to make a fuzzy amp sound bright. Plus the Hartke aluminum cone speakers sound fantabulous with guitar too, especially if you're using a lot of effects.

Basically it comes down to this: Ampegs are the bass amps of classic rock, while Hartkes are the amps of the modern funk and fusion player.

[/quote']

I think that is why I'm not really into Hartkes. I used to like that bright, snappy sound, but the music I play now calls for a rounder tone. I have a hard time controlling my GK rig because of its snappiness. The Randall is much easier to get a rounder tone with, but the GK head adds some difficulty.

I'm more of a fan of the Stax/Motown bass sound than the new hifi bass sound. That is why I like the Acoustic stuff so much for a cheap amp. And, that Ampeg Micro VR stack is awesome, and can even do the hifi thing. But, at $600 it is a little much for what it is to me....that same money in an Acoustic rig would be better spent.

The bass in my avatar is a custom built Warmoth.....one piece swamp ash body, maple Jazz style neck with Gibby style headstock, old style precision looks with stacked knob jazz bass wiring, Seymour Duncan vintage Jazz pickups.....unfortunately I sold it a few years back, and have missed it since! It was a great bass, and I spent around $1k on it.....

Jeff

p.s. I've got better pics if you want to see more....

If you are looking for a bargain amp with character, see if you can find a vintage Acoustic Control amp. They are solid state, but I don't have tube snob disease, so it doesn't bother me. I play through an early 1980s 126 combo sometimes and a stack powered by a mid-1980s B320 when blowing down walls is important. The B320 has something like 300 watts, but it moves far more air than its rating would suggest when run into 4 ohms. When I plug in a guitar, I go with a tube amp, but for the bass, power and headroom are more important. I don't like distorted bass anyway.

Veeeeeery nice Jeff:-"

Put a roswood fretboard on that gal & she could well end up on my Lust list[biggrin]

Yep, would be very nice with rosewood.....I went back and forth with that when I was planning it, and thing I actually made the WRONG choice! I wish I would have gone with rosewood. Sometimes I think of building another...

Jeff

Archived