Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone quality.

Legs

Epiphone makes a great guitar. In just the past few years, I could see the differences in improvements from 2007 to 2010. They're definitely more consistent in their quality. I'm reading the Les Paul Biography book that traces his life and history of the Les Paul - from Kalamazoo to Nashville. There are interviews in there from employees, musicians, music stores. It's very interesting, especially the parts about the manufacturing process where certain stores would contract with Gibson to make special "reissues" of various years. There was no consistency in quality. They used whatever wood was available and even whatever happened to be in stock. Pick ups were mismatched. Colors were way off. Certain stores had leverage, so they could hand pick the guitars they wanted. So where am I going?

I bought a Gibson Std. Trad Plus in January. It's beautiful, plays nice, sounds awesome. And it does sound and feel different from the Epi Std. LP I had. It's very heavy too, even with being weight relieved. After reading this book, I'm convinced it is weight relieved, not because they want to enhance tone. But because the wood available now is too heavy. It had a small blem on the lower horn too where it was scuffed a bit. Wasn't bad, but I got another $100 knocked off the price for it. Got it home and buffed it out. I figured for $1,800 it was worth it to finally own a real Gibson. Would I buy another Gibson? It depends.

The quality of Epiphones I find to be on par with Gibson in how they are built. At least the ones I've owned. It doesn't matter if it's Asian hands or American hands making them. They're both mass produced, at least the USA Gibsons are. There will be "goofs" in both. Gibson even maded "goof covers", i.e., pick up rings to go around pick ups to hide flaws in some P90 equipped guitars. The real differences are in the materials and parts. Who knows what Mahogany means any more? Even back in the 70's there were different woods used that were called "mahagony". Both companies use what is available and in abundance at the time and call it mahagony. Maybe Gibson gets a better "mahagony" and Epi gets a cheaper "mahagony" It's all just wood.

Both are good and fill different wants.

Interesting, BillyG - - I have a thread going - No Tone on My G400 - and it's a 2007 model made in China. It is in great cosmetic condition (I bought it used online from GC -- big mistake) and a luthier told me it appeared to have had little use. Yet the electronics are crap. A lot of forum members - - nice folks, by the way -- are advising me to replace them myself. Whether I do it or someone else, I've paid way too much for it. I could've just purchased a new one! Anyway, I wonder if you're right about the "improvements" from 2007 to 2010.

Interesting, BillyG - - I have a thread going - No Tone on My G400 - and it's a 2007 model made in China. It is in great cosmetic condition (I bought it used online from GC -- big mistake) and a luthier told me it appeared to have had little use. Yet the electronics are crap. A lot of forum members - - nice folks, by the way -- are advising me to replace them myself. Whether I do it or someone else, I've paid way too much for it. I could've just purchased a new one! Anyway, I wonder if your right about the "improvements" from 2007 to 2010.

Why was it a mistake? If you got a heavy discount, it's in great cosmetic condition, plays well, and only needs a minor electronic repair, you're still way ahead of the game.

Many folks here replace all the wiring, pots and switches on their Epis as soon as they get them because everyone knows the electronics are crap.

It's not that big a job, and the guit will sound and feel better, plus you'll have some pride in knowing that you decked it out yourself....

Why was it a mistake? If you got a heavy discount, it's in great cosmetic condition, plays well, and only needs a minor electronic repair, you're still way ahead of the game.

Many folks here replace all the wiring, pots and switches on their Epis as soon as they get them because everyone knows the electronics are crap.

It's not that big a job, and the guit will sound and feel better, plus you'll have some pride in knowing that you decked it out yourself....

Your point is well taken brianh. Even if purchased new, I may have wanted to eventually change out the electonics. But not so soon! The guitar was priced at $180, tax $11.00, shipping $21.00, full set-up $55.00 equaling $267.00. My local GC had the same model brand new for $329 + tax plus a basic set-up would cost $30.00. Still a savings, but knowing what I know now, I might have waited and saved another $100 or so for a new one. Just sayin'! BUT, I have to say I am looking forward to doing the project myself this weekend. I ordered the electronics upgrade kit from StewMac yesterday. Back to practicing next week!

I have a 2001 Epi black beauty, I love this guitar.... I recently picked up a Slash Plus top 2008 tabacco burst and while I ddint completly love it at first, after 2 days of playing, I really love this guitar and could not happier, either with the price or quality of this MIC guitar!!!!!!!!!! SLASH SLASH SLASH!!!! [thumbup]

Archived