Gibson Brands Forums

Got new GFS pickups, ready to install them!

marcelo94

Hey guys, before I begin intalling them I'll be needing the wiring diagrams of my SG G400, to know which cable is which. Any recomendations on how to install them? My Dad has all the tools necessary, and he knows a bunch of electronics, which is an advantage.

Congratulations! What kind did you get?

There should be wiring diagrams that come with each pickup inside the box. There is a diagram that shows you how to connect to a guitar that is set up just like yours ( 2 humbuckers)

I bet you're going to like them. I just had some put in my LP (avatar).

They sound GREAT!

Marcelo,

As brad said: you should have gotten this in the box.

http://www.arkay.de/temp/GFS1.jpg

http://www.arkay.de/temp/GFS2.jpg

Hope the link works. When I went to it I was able to enlarge it by clicking on the pic.

Also, this may be of some help:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiring_resources_guitar_wiring_diagrams/

Willy

Yeah I got a Mean 90 for the bridge and a Vintage 59 for the neck. Im trying to connect them but listen Ive got more cables coming out of the GFS pickups, than the Epiphone pickups, which only have a cable that's ground, and a cable that goes to the volume pot. The GFS pickups have a cable that goes to the volume pot, same ground cable that the epiphone pickup has, and an extra cable on the Mean 90, and 2 extra cables on the vintage 59, that according to the wiring diagrams is ground, but where should I connect it to?

Marcelo,

Just touching back in case you check your post before tomorrow.

We can work this out and it is not as complicated as it seems. In fact it is quite easy.

However, although I understand you are excited to install your pickups (and I'm sure you will be pleased)

I have had way too many beers to explain it right now. I will post again tomorrow and give the best explanation I can.

I just don't want to give you any Miss Information right now. (remember her?)

If other members chime in I am sure it will be of great help as I know many of them have installed GFS pickups.

One thing I will say at this point is that it is always a good idea to tape the connections in first in order to try them out before soldering them. Especially when combining a P-90 with a humbucker.

Other things include: the third wire on the 90 is a case ground. (sometimes you use it sometimes you don't.)

Depends on the noise it does or does not generate. Some times you need to reverse the positive and negative

if you get a thin sound out of the 90 when combining it with a humbucker. (Thus the taped/trial connections)

On the humbucker: If you looked at the diagram, the extra two wires connect to each other to create a complete circuit

between the two halfs of the pickup. These can be used for coil splitting/phasing. Since you are not doing that you

will just be connecting them to each other and using the two remaining wires as your positive and ground.

Talk to you when I have a clear head,

(hic-up and burp)

Willy

to add to brad. on the humbucker, you will want to connect the green wire with the copper braided ground. the black is you hot to connect to volume pot. the white and red should have come connected. they are for coil tapping. since you are not planning to coil tap, leave them be. place electrical tape over them to protect against accident touching of other components.( do not separate them!!!!!).

as for the mean 90. connect the ground with the copper braided ground. i found this to help alot on the hum issue.

and most important, make sure all your ground are in place

grounds to check

input jack-- this wire should go to a pot and ground off this pot to the other

pots- ground from other pot ans one pot ground by input jack

bridge ground wire.--ground to a pot

neck pup-ground to a pot

bridge pup- ground to a pot

control switch-- ground to a pot

if you have alot of hum/noise you have a possible bad ground!!!! have fun on your first mod.

My GFS mini humbuckers came in yesterday for this:

ZZZ3.jpg

I'm not installing them until I visit my local hobby shop for a sheet of tortoise shell plexi to make a new pickguard, and I also still lack a couple of parts for a complete electronics re-work.

Also ordering new tuners for it.

I got the p/g mount minis with flat chrome rings.

I chose the ceramic magnet set, I can either tone or cap it down if they're TOO bright.

This forum sure generates a lot of business for GFS...........

Bender,

Beautiful guitar!

Marcelo,

Glad to read that you got everything worked out.

As far as the hum goes: A 50/60Hz hum is one of the characteristics of a traditional single coil pickup.

In the case of the mean 90 (presuming that is where it is coming from) it can sometimes be helped

by connecting or disconnecting the silver case shield wire from the ground path. It is, however,

unlikely that you will completely get rid of it. It is just the nature of the beast.

A little history and an interesting read:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/The%20Gibson%20Humbucker/

Something else that might help is a noise suppressor pedal although I have no personal experience

with them.

I am sure that on that subject other forum members would be of much more help than I.

I am not aware of any other options in terms of resistors and such. If other members are; Please

post and we can all learn something.

Willy

Archived