Gibson Brands Forums

changes in wood after playing, opening up

KDKowalski

That's exactly what I did.........

here's his reply

Hi Peter' date='

The Maple Tops on the Tributes are 3-piece. (I don't know of any Maple caps that are 1-piece?) The Maple Cap is as thick as a Gibson's. There is book-matched veneer on the top because essentially, the one seam down the center is what looks traditionally correct and is preferred.

Thanks,

Jim Epi

[/quote']

So if that's the case, why is that not what we see in the pictures of the OP's new tribute - the pictures do not show a book matched veneer with the seam down the center as stated, at least from what I can see in the pictures...

So if that's the case' date=' why is that not what we see in the pictures of the OP's new tribute - the pictures do not show a book matched veneer with the seam down the center as stated, at least from what I can see in the pictures...[/quote']

Nope, there is not a middle seam....There is one spot on the top that looks like 2 pieces of wood joined together between the pots and the pups. I originally thought it was a 3 piece top, and was told veneer.

I guess one thing is certain, the top is nice [confused] The flame appearing is not drastic, I love the top.

The best thing is it sounds great!

The more I play it, and the more I look at it, the more flame I am either noticing for the first time, or there are some changes occurring since it is left out of the case on a stand.

The humidity here has been as high as 90% in the past week, and as low as 40%. The temperatures have swung between 70 and 90F Veneer or not there are changes....which could be the finish and not the wood. I really don't care about mine as I am satisfied with my purchase, however it would probably be nice to know how the model is constructed.

I understand manufacturers have the right to change or not disclose specs as they need, however it would be nice to read about a product, know and get what is described. This is why there is so much questioning regarding the construction. I think it would boost sales as potential customers would not be so skeptical and spend more time playing and enjoying.

Archived