Gibson Brands Forums

The Futura Prophecy FX

Idontcare2323

By far my favorite guitar, wicked style and sound. The only problem is it's never listed with a case, and as such I'm left out to dry in terms of protection for this axe. I've looked around for cases for the thing and found an Epiphone Explorer case, supposedly meant to hold all of the Epiphones' Explorers, though since the Futura is slimmer than the others, I dont see how that can be. Before I spend $89 dollars I want to make sure it actually fits, otherwise I'll be left with a big waste of money.

Also, I bought my Futura about a year ago, and the sticker on my Futura Prophecy says it's been made in Indonesia, yet I've heard from others that it's been produced in China, so did I get the shaft seeing as how it's been stated that the factories in China have been producing better quality products when compared to Korean, and quite possibly in this case, Asian factories?

Thanks for the responses and any help is appreciated.

I can't guarantee it, but my explorer touches its case at the tip of the headstock and the top corner of the body; which I believe are quite similar between the two guitars.

Regarding regional quality, every factory has made some lemons, every factory has made some gems. If your guitar is good, no reason to worry about it.

Also' date=' I bought my Futura about a year ago, and the sticker on my Futura Prophecy says it's been made in Indonesia, yet I've heard from others that it's been produced in China, so did I get the shaft seeing as how it's been stated that the factories in China have been producing better quality products when compared to Korean, and quite possibly in this case, Asian factories?

[/quote']

The Samick and Cort factories in Indonesia are enormous state of the art facilities and produce guitars for many major corporations. Although Samick is a Korean company, they no longer manufacture guitars in Korea. Their Indonesian factory was opened around 2003, and probably more modern and efficient that their old Korean factory.

Likewise, Cort opened a tremendous factory in Indonesia. I think they closed electric guitar factory in Korea a couple of years ago, but they still make their Parkwood line of acoustics in Korea. I believe the Carvin acoustics are also made at the Parkwood factory. Besides their own guitars, Cort manufactures Ibanez, ESP, Schecter, G&L Tribute & many other brands at their Indonesia factory.

Samick and Cort are probably the two biggest manufactures of guitars in the world today, and either one puts out an excellent product. So I wouldn't worry...

Besides their own guitars' date=' Cort manufactures Ibanez, ESP, Schecter, G&L Tribute & many other brands at their Indonesia factory. [/quote']

Cort makes ESPs? I might actually try Corts out next time I'm at a store, I usually just skip over them as shelf fillers :-$

Cort makes ESPs? I might actually try Corts out next time I'm at a store' date=' I usually just skip over them as shelf fillers :-$ [/quote']

The top line ESPs are MIJ, the LTDs are made by Cort in Indonesia (as well as other factories in Korea & China).

The top line ESPs are MIJ' date=' the LTDs are made by Cort in Indonesia (as well as other factories in Korea & China).[/quote']

Yes, my bad, I was thinking that the LTD -50 (their cheapest) guitars are fantastic quality, what I said was ESP. [biggrin]

How do you know which factory produced your guitar? My factory number is 23' date=' which according to the i.d. your Epiphone faq, means it was produced in Indonesia by an unknown factory.[/quote']

Epiphone doesn't make that info readily available, so those factory lists are pretty much compiled by amateur detectives. The reason we know 23 is Indonesia is solely based on the Made in Indonesia sticker. Like my Wilshire is a 23 and had a Made in Indonesia sticker. So far, no one has determine which factory is 23 & which is I, but my hunch is that 23 is Samick.

I thought you didn't care???

I was waiting for someone to use that line haha, what I didn't care about is coming up with some unique, complicated user name. So far it's been very reliable, and I haven't had even one problem with it, so alls well that ends well. I suppose I'll splurge for the Epiphone X-plorer case as well, I think the length of the Futura= the length of any Epiphone Explorer.

Archived