Gibson Brands Forums

Turning a Dot into an Epiphone ES355 *finished pictures*

epiphonefan24

Hello all! This is my first post! Straight to business though-

After a few months of collecting all the parts I brought my Epiphone Dot into the shop. I was trying to make what I think a Gibson ES355 would look like if Epiphone put it together. Let me know what you think here is the finished product.

21cz95u.jpg

126eoh2.jpg

214dyqh.jpg

21uf61.jpg

k009zl.jpg

161i69d.jpg

244zghk.jpg

2wexag7.jpg

2j3hcnp.jpg

2h3wk6q.jpg

zt6ept.jpg

zl45ci.jpg

2lsfgk7.jpg

scxhlu.jpg

34oyal0.jpg

308gwg6.jpg

2n6jaa.jpg

23w8i1u.jpg

98ynnk.jpg

s6hgrb.jpg

Well, nice job, with the addition of the Bigsby and gold hardware. But, Epi already makes a version, of the ES-355...it's "Lucille."

No "f" holes, and "Lucille" in the headstock, but...otherwise, it's pretty much, the same. ES-355's have multiple binding top and

back, bound neck and headstock, split diamond inlay in headstock, and large block neck position markers, and Varitone dial.

What you've made, essentially, is a Dot "Deluxe" (Plain Top), with Bigsby. Looks Great, though!

Cheers,

CB

After a few months of collecting all the parts I brought my Epiphone Dot into the shop. I was trying to make what I think a Gibson ES355 would look like if Epiphone put it together. Let me know what you think...

Nicely done, the combination of gold hardware and cherry finish look great. One more thing, I think a Gibson style pickguard would add to the look.

Thanks Charlie Brown

I don't know if I really include Lucille into the category of the traditional 355 as I was trying to replicate though. While it's base is of a 355 its really its own model and specific to BB King. Also it doesn't come in cherry red only black, it does have the binding bindings, inlays and varitone switch as you mentoned however. Those features would be costly to replicate and I'd have to find an amazing luthier. So yes essentially it is a Dot Deluxe with a Bigsby B7 but its the closest looking Epiphone I've seen to a 355.

Yes jerrymac thanks

I've looked into the Gibson Pickgaurd already I saw it on ebay for about $60, Ill get it in due time I suppose.

I think I like the Epiphone one though. It would look really good but I kinda feel like the Gibson one is for the Gibson model and putting it on my epiphone would be like writing Gibson on the top of the guitar (..and shaving down the headstock to look more like a Gibson one) i'll save all those good things for when I get a real Gibson 355

Nice job' date=' indeed ... but you didn't just do this, did you?

I could swear rthat I've seen this exact mod before ... especially the "Custom Mode" plate. Either way nice looking guitar!

Jim

[/quote']

Thanks MIDIMan56

I did actually and you probably have, I've seen older Gibson 335 that have had a Bigsby installed and they used a Custom Made plate as well. Thats what made me do it, that and not having stacks of cash to get the holes from the bridge filled up. Someone must have done it on an Epiphone before. I'm really glad with how it turned out though.

Thanks MIDIMan56

I did actually and you probably have' date=' I've seen older Gibson 335 that have had a Bigsby installed and they used a Custom Made plate as well. Thats what made me do it, that and not having stacks of cash to get the holes from the bridge filled up. Someone must have done it on an Epiphone before. I'm really glad with how it turned out though. [/quote']

I think the idea might have come from this limited edition of 50 ES335's made especially for the Canadian market. Nice Conversion [cool]

800pxcustommadecanadaed.jpg

After a few months of collecting all the parts I brought my Epiphone Dot into the shop. I was trying to make what I think a Gibson ES355 would look like if Epiphone put it together. Let me know what you think here is the finished product.

34oyal0.jpg

I think you should replace ALL PHILLPS SCREWS with slot-head screws.

It will give it more antique looks that way since the Phillips head screws

were invented mid-1930's.

CLICK HERE: wiki/Henry_F._Phillips

... AND ...

I would also "look up" on the internet the PATENT DATE of that whammybar

patent number. Work "around that date" also.

scxhlu.jpg

-

Thanks Charlie Brown

I don't know if I really include Lucille into the category of the traditional 355 as I was trying to replicate though. While it's base is of a 355 its really its own model and specific to BB King. Also it doesn't come in cherry red only black' date=' it does have the binding bindings, inlays and varitone switch as you mentoned however. Those features would be costly to replicate and I'd have to find an amazing luthier. So yes essentially it is a Dot Deluxe with a Bigsby B7 but its the closest looking Epiphone I've seen to a 355.

Yes jerrymac thanks

I've looked into the Gibson Pickgaurd already I saw it on ebay for about $60, Ill get it in due time I suppose.

I think I like the Epiphone one though. It would look [b']really[/b] good but I kinda feel like the Gibson one is for the Gibson model and putting it on my epiphone would be like writing Gibson on the top of the guitar (..and shaving down the headstock to look more like a Gibson one) i'll save all those good things for when I get a real Gibson 355

Hmmm, well might want to tell Gibson that. ;>) It's true...it doesn't come in Red (yet), with Epiphone's version.

Sure wish it did!

36955_l.jpg

CB

I think you should replace ALL PHILLPS SCREWS with slot-head screws.

It will give it more antique looks that way since the Phillips head screws

were invented mid-1930's.

CLICK HERE: wiki/Henry_F._Phillips

... AND ...

I would also "look up" on the internet the PATENT DATE of that whammybar

patent number. Work "around that date" also.

[/img]

-

The ES-355 was introduced in 1959. This particular model Bigsby was introduced in 1953. When the two came together, they had Phillips-head screws. It would be less accurate to use something else.

The ES-355 was introduced in 1959. This particular model Bigsby was introduced in 1953. When the two came together' date='[b'] they had Phillips-head screws. It would be less accurate to use something else[/b].

Thank you Sweetheart.

Nicely done' date=' the combination of gold hardware and cherry finish look great. One more thing, I think a Gibson style pickguard would add to the look.[/quote']

If I remember correctly my Gibson ES-335 had Chrome hardware and the Volume and Tone knobs had the pointer

markers under them so you could see where you were dialed in number-wise (that's how I got the idea for my two

Epi's and my new Gibson CS-336). Also the Gibson ES-335 has a bound fingerboard.

Edit...Sorry you said ES-355. But still, since yours is a "Dot" it would be 335 and not 355 as the 355 has the Block

inlays, I believe.

Try here: http://gmvintagerestorations.com/g_parts/g_parts.html

But $90 seems a bit spendy for a cheap plastic engraved plaque.

You might try the nearest trophy / engraving specialty store and have it say whatever the hell you want...

Good suggestion' date=' especially the "say whatever" part [biggrin

Nice looking guitar and good job.

Try here: http://gmvintagerestorations.com/g_parts/g_parts.html

But $90 seems a bit spendy for a cheap plastic engraved plaque.

You might try the nearest trophy / engraving specialty store and have it say whatever the hell you want...

Those are replicas of the originals - unless you're putting it on a 1959 ES-355, there's no reason to pay that much.

I put Epiphone pickups back in because I got them for almost $50 and waited like 2 months for them and Gibson 57' classics would have costed me $130 for 1 not including tax.. seeing as I don't have a Gibson I didn't want to spend the price of a Dot just on pickups. I know they would have been nice but i'll save it for when I buy a real 355, for now im content.

I forget who it was at the end of the last page that mentioned it being a Dot and it being a 335 not a 355. I know, the Dot is Epiphones version of the 335. I wrote 355 because I was trying to make it look like one by installing some of the (cheaper) signature parts. Yes, the inlays, the split diamond headstock, binding on front and back and fretboard are different if not completely missing. Not to mention the varitone switch (which isn't even included on every 355 only on the ES-355TD-SV model if you want to nit pick haha) To make it detail for detail would be very expensive and probably pointless because you could get one for 3-4 grand.

AS90 - The plate is just plastic as mentioned and I got it off ebay you can search "custom made plates" it was $15. The gold one thats seen on early 60's Gibson 335 are their as well and they are really expensive probably again the price of a Dot itself. I looked at the link to the $90 but I really don't see much their to justify $90. My $15 ebay one looks equally impressive as that one and from my pics you can see for yourself its not bad at all. I had a good laugh at that Vintage Orange Toggle switch tip for $25 and the beveled pickgaurd as well for %150, thats robbery. ebay!

Archived