Gibson Brands Forums

G-400 or 66' G-400

NickNice

Thats OK for the Amp, but is it truly a great deal? I mean, the guitar? Ithink so, but what do you think about it?

It will sell me an Ebony G-400 with SG standard pickups (498T and 500R) (used, but in wonderfull condition) for 450$ CAN!

Thats OK for the Amp, but is it truly a great deal? I mean, the guitar? Ithink so, but what do you think about it?

Bad Deal [thumbdn] Long and Mcquade will ship you a new one for $365.00 and free shipping. If you want faded it is only $330.00. Check their website, you will be able to purchase the package you want within your budget and get all new gear.

Pick up the G400 faded for $330.00, a line 6 spider 4 15 for $119.00, apex 20' cable for $11.99, apex clip on tuner for $19.00, $21.99 for a planet waves retro strap, and a ritter electric bag for $35.00. Total is $536.98 + Tax, shipping is free. My friend you can't do much better than this [cool] , add $35.00 if you want the gloss finish.

Best of luck.

The Epiphone SG G-400 is one of the best guitars to make later upgrades. I have a Epiphone SG G-400 that I made myself a lot of upgrades and it is right now my number one guitar. It sounds much better than most of the guitars on the market. Of course that the upgrades also cost a lot, but it worth every cent.

The guitar is almost totally upgraded I will list the upgrades from headstock to the body:

-Gibson Deluxe tuners (Kluson style this tuners are better made than Grovers, the Grovers were alright but the Gibsons improve the tone)

-Graphitech TUSQ Nut (It's amzing how it changed the sound, much clear, defined, brighther and open)

-Gibson 490R pickup (excelent pickup no need for further explanetion)

-Gibson 498T pickup (beyond excelent)

-Gotoh bridge (very good bridge the original tunomatic Epiphone bridge is ok, but the Gotoh improved the stability and intonation)

-CTS 500K pots (changing the pots improved the tone incredibily, make it more open, clear and rounder bass)

-Sprague Orange Drop 0.22 440V capacitors (for a better tone control it makes the tone knob more usable, with all this upgrades the sound became very bright so you have to control it)

With this upgrades my guitar's tone is head to head with the top guitars on Earth and I realy mean it once I compare it with a top custom 73' Gibson.

And still is a Epiphone SG G-400, the tone is amazing, but nobody wants to steal it.

Bad Deal [thumbdn] Long and Mcquade will ship you a new one for $365.00 and free shipping. If you want faded it is only $330.00. Check their website, you will be able to purchase the package you want within your budget and get all new gear.

Pick up the G400 faded for $330.00, a line 6 spider 4 15 for $119.00, apex 20' cable for $11.99, apex clip on tuner for $19.00, $21.99 for a planet waves retro strap, and a ritter electric bag for $35.00. Total is $536.98 + Tax, shipping is free. My friend you can't do much better than this [cool] , add $35.00 if you want the gloss finish.

Best of luck.

Yes, but I cheked on Gibson website and the pickups are about 200 together, + the isntalation! And its all Gibbies electronics! So I think it is a great deal, because I pay less than hundred dollar more for about 300 of modification!

Lets do some maths!(even if I'm in school break, and I will have math classes in not so long -_-' AND I HATE MATHS BTW)

G-400:365$

498T:102$

490R:102$

Instalation:50$

Total:619$

My deal:450$

A save of 169$, the price of a good amp!

Still thinking it is a bad deal?

I don't!

But anyway, I'm not an expert, but this is what I think...

Yes, but I cheked on Gibson website and the pickups are about 200 together, + the isntalation! And its all Gibbies electronics! So I think it is a great deal, because I pay less than hundred dollar more for about 300 of modification!

Lets do some maths!(even if I'm in school break, and I will have math classes in not so long -_-' AND I HATE MATHS BTW)

G-400:365$

498T:102$

490R:102$

Instalation:50$

Total:619$

My deal:450$

A save of 169$, the price of a good amp!

Still thinking it is a bad deal?

I don't!

But anyway, I'm not an expert, but this is what I think...

Here is my take on the situation.

Upgrades are very difficult to recover financially.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the G400 pick ups as installed.

Lastly your original post had you trying to have a complete package of < $600.00. The G400 you are pricing with all the components you are looking for will exceed your price. You have been given a lot of good advice over the past 2 weeks on the forum, and now that is 2 weeks you are not playing. I would go with whatever you like, we can only make suggestions to you, but at the end of the day its your guitar. Now buy it and play LOL [biggrin]

I am really tempted by Long&McQuade order, but I've been warned against online buy by someone who own a music store since 20 years, so I think she know of what she is talking! and I thought it was a good deal for no extra to get those pickups.

Anyway I think I will take this, because It will cost me this price anyway to get my guitar, new or not, and my deal isnt this used, almost never been played : /

there really isnt a difference except for the pickguard, some people get it cause its a "custom shop" guitar.

If I were you Id get the g400 then look for an aftermarket full pickguard

Thats wath I will do :P

Who is doing the pickguard on the forum?

'Was wondering 'What are the weak point of the G-400'?

First thing you should do is put a drop of blue Loctite on the input jack nut. Both of my Epiphone SG's needed this. Never had a problem like that with other guitars.

While you're at it, you might want to do the same with the nut on the toggle and pots.

Also, they're quite neck-heavy. I use a wide leather strap and strap locks. Of course, I have strap locks on all of my electrics.

Finally, of course, because the neck is set so high on the fretboard, it's a bit fragile. I once read an interview with Pete Townshend, where he said he really loved SG's because they were so easy to break.

First thing you should do is put a drop of blue Loctite on the input jack nut. Both of my Epiphone SG's needed this. Never had a problem like that with other guitars.

While you're at it, you might want to do the same with the nut on the toggle and pots.

Also, they're quite neck-heavy. I use a wide leather strap and strap locks. Of course, I have strap locks on all of my electrics.

Finally, of course, because the neck is set so high on the fretboard, it's a bit fragile. I once read an interview with Pete Townshend, where he said he really loved SG's because they were so easy to break.

What is Loctite?

What is Loctite?

Thread locking compound. It keeps nuts and bolts from working loose. Make sure you use the blue, though. The red is designed to be permanent. You have to apply a lot of heat to loosen red loctite. A small tube goes a long way, and you can get it at any auto parts store.

You can also use nail polish.

Here's a photo of the Vintage Cherry G-400 that I picked up last weekend. I swapped my beloved 2006 MIM Standard Sunburst Strat, for this and a Vox ADVT-15 amp.

JeffsPhotos748.jpg

That's a sweet Cherry.

Avoid the packs, an Epi valve junior amp will give you years of use and get a good quality lead, it will give good sound and last.

People says Roland Cube and Epi Valve, But they do not seems to have a lots of effect, and this is why I tempted by Line 6 Spiders... I don't an amp which will deafen a whole stadium, only a practice amp with a living room-sized sound and whit a lot of effect, and mobility. :/

I have a Line 6 Spider III. It was my first amp. I liked it.

Only thing about it is that all my guitars sound the same through it. I can't tell the difference in sound from my Les Paul with humbuckers, my SG with single coils, or my son's LP Jr.

My Orange Crush 15 allows me to hear the differences, as does my G-DEC 30 (though it's also a modeling amp).

I have a Fender Vibro Champ and an Epi Valve Jr. on the way to my house. When I get home next weekend I'll get to plug them in and try them.

I gave the Line 6 to my son, because he loves the hard metal sounds. I'll admit that I never spent any time finding the cleaner sounds. When I bought it, the sales guy at the music store took me in the back room and dialed it in for a perfect sounding Mark Knopfler, ala "Money for Nothing". Made that G-310 sing for me. I never found that sound on it. You really have to know the settings on those Spiders. There are forums dedicated to it, so it shouldn't be difficult.

The price is certainly right for such a versatile amp.

I saw that one (worn cherry, I think?) at a music store. Still dreaming of it.... but in Silverburst!!

About Line 6 amps, I was wondering why the Micro Spider (135$, 6w) cost more than the Spider IV 15 (99$, 15w) when its 9w 'stronger'?

Archived