Gibson Brands Forums

New kramer pickups vs. old kramer quad-rail?

pattonfreak1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The new pickups are very similar to the ones used in the Epi LP Standards.

Well I have a new Pacer Classic and two Epi LPs and the pickups are nothing like each other.

Something like HOTCH bridge and 57 CH neck in the LPs (both PAF styles) vs 910T/900R in the Pacer (more like JB/Jazz copies to me).

Alan

• 2 months later...

Well I have a new Pacer Classic and two Epi LPs and the pickups are nothing like each other.

I agree with you on that 100%. My wife bought me one of those Kramer Pacer FT-211S, which was a Musician's Friends "Special" for $99.99, and when it came in, I was appalled at the apparent lack of quality that this guitar had. It has a SSH configuration and I ended up taking out the stock Indonesian made pickups, along with the 5 way switch, and ended up shielding the electronic and humbucker cavity with Copper tape , and I then installed a Bridge Humbucker from a Korean made, 1998 Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I wired it directly to the Volume pot and also installed a 500 K pot for the Tone. The pickups that are on the new Kramers, at least on this one, sound absolutely horrible and no way in hell, are as good as Epiphone's. Once I put in that Epi Humbucker, the difference was quite clear.

I agree with you on that 100%. My wife bought me one of those Kramer Pacer FT-211S, which was a Musician's Friends "Special" for $99.99, and when it came in, I was appalled at the apparent lack of quality that this guitar had. It has a SSH configuration and I ended up taking out the stock Indonesian made pickups, along with the 5 way switch, and ended up shielding the electronic and humbucker cavity with Copper tape , and I then installed a Bridge Humbucker from a Korean made, 1998 Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I wired it directly to the Volume pot and also installed a 500 K pot for the Tone. The pickups that are on the new Kramers, at least on this one, sound absolutely horrible and no way in hell, are as good as Epiphone's. Once I put in that Epi Humbucker, the difference was quite clear.

The pups in the new 2010 Pacer Classic are also nothing like the quad rail types on previous import Kramers. In my view Kramer have considerably 'upped' the standard on the 2010 Pacer.

• 4 weeks later...

The pups in the new 2010 Pacer Classic are also nothing like the quad rail types on previous import Kramers. In my view Kramer have considerably 'upped' the standard on the 2010 Pacer.

I have a love/hate relationship with the old quadrail pups. I plug it in initially and think they sound killer. But seems like not long after that they seem to lack something. Maybe they fatigue my ears, hard telling.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have the same guitar with quadrail pickups. It started to make some noise and I would like to check if they just need to be cleaned up (any recommendation?) the pickup switch makes also noise when switching and there is a possition that the pick ups loose their volume. Have though also to switch to EMG active pickups since I love that guitar. Any recommendations?

Archived