Gibson Brands Forums

Custom options, quality matters

LarsGL

Hello,

I have just joined here after watching with interest, development of this guitar for a little while now since I read comments posted on Harmony Central discussion forums some time ago.

Is there any further advice or information available about the departure from EMG pickups? My preference for many years since my first GL in 1988 is to use the 81/SA/SA format.

Secondly, the original video on Steinberger.com demonstrates the virtues of the ZT3 without any black pickup mounting rings installed....similar to other electric guitar models such as the Ernie Ball Music Man guitars, for example. I personally much prefer this way of attaching the pickup to the body of the guitar directly and the look is far neater in appearance, to my mind at least.

I am very excited about this new release and can honestly say that living as a professional engineer and musician, I immensely admire Ned Steinberger, his talent and skill as a designer and innovator.

My concerns or reservations are about the build quality of the new Z series and whether or not the manufacturing/build techniques at least equal that of the original concept.

My current and all-time favourite guitar is my 1991 white GL4tA which has never, ever failed me in any way. I have replaced Trans Trem Type 2 bearings and that is it!!!! It is always in tune and is testament to brilliant engineering and its creator.

Any thoughts or comments about how some ideas can be forwarded to Ned Steinberger and others involved in the marketing of this wonderful new variant on the Steinberger theme, would be very much appreciated.

Cheers from someone in "The Land Downunder"!

Archived