Gibson Brands Forums

2FPA synapse transcale fret buzz on E-low string

maio

Hallo to everybody!

I have a synapse transcale 2FPA that has the low string buzzing with the capo on the 2nd fret (standard tuning..).

I have changed the bridge setting but I did non solve the problem.. even the capo regulations didn't solve the problem.. I would like to solve by myself without sending it to a technician (it is brand new...).

I use .010 strings..

Do you have any suggestion?

Thank you!

Maurizio

Could be one of three things maybe.

1. Raise the action at the bridge. Thicker strings (in this case the Low E) tend to cover more area when they vibrate, so raise the bridge (make sure its parallel to the strings as well...bridge tilt possibly?).

2. Truss rod out of line. Follow the instructions under the [Tech] tab on the main site. Look for Synapse Set-up. (This might not be the case since you have no trouble out of the other strings.)

3. Raised fret. You could have a rogue fret! Try to find the fret the string's buzzing on and compare it to the others and see if you find a difference.

Thank you JTR!!

:

I have checked both the bridge hight and the truss rod but it does not help unfortunately... :-(

I have asked to a technician (he build quite good classic and solid body guitars..) and he told me that before making any change in the frets it is better to wait becouse, being the guitar new it could be that using it (I'm still not using it yet...) the string tension help to solve the problem...

Another particular is that I'm using standard stings non baritone..

The buzz is not intolerable so I'll start using it and let's wait....

What is your opinion about that?.. Cheers!

Maurizio

LOL! Yes you definitely need to use the correct string gauges (for the adequate tension) with lower tunings. Standard string guages, however, tuned to standard tuning should still vibrate in the same range no matter what the length of the guitar. A string tuned to F# on a standard guitar compared to another string (same gauge) also tuned to F# on a baritone guitar will be exactly the same, the only differences would be the length of string and the tension. For lower tunings you will need the extra thickness provided by the gauge to make up for the decrease in tension. You can picture how string gauge helps by comparing a length of steel fishing wire to an equal length of steel cable streched between two points and tightened at the same tension. The fishing wire will simply flop and sag more than the cable because it has a weaker "backbone". In order to play a specific note in the bass spectrum on a bass guitar, it will need thicker guage strings. Could this be the problem?

Well I changed the strings with a baritone gauge strings and still the E-low buzz (less but buzz..).

I think I will play for a while (six seven months) the guitar regulary and if it still buzz I will bring it to the technician to modify the frets...

I like very much this guitar and I cannot stand it to be with such a silly problem...;-)

Anyway thank you for your interest and suggestions!!

Maurizio

Hallo to everybody!

I have a synapse transcale 2FPA that has the low string buzzing with the capo on the 2nd fret (standard tuning..).

I have changed the bridge setting but I did non solve the problem.. even the capo regulations didn't solve the problem.. I would like to solve by myself without sending it to a technician (it is brand new...).

I use .010 strings..

Thank you!

Maurizio

Hi Maio' date='

The capo has two phillips screws on the back of it. If you look from the back of the neck you'll see one on each side of the capo. If your high-E is buzzing at the 2nd fret, then try the following:

1. Make sure you roll the capo right up to the edge of the 2nd fret (or any fret) when using it. Do not position the capo in the middle of the 2nd fret. Put is right up to the 2nd fret wire. This puts the greatest amount of downward pressure on the string and eliminates buzzing.

2. If that doesn't work, tighten the capo screw on the high-E side. This will pull the capo down towards the string and increase pressure to eliminate string buzz.

[b']If you do one or both of the above, the 2nd fret buzzing should go away. [/b]

If it doesn't go away or if the buzzing is at other fret positions, you have other issues that need to be reviewed by a guitar tech.

Thanks!

Steinberger

Hallo to everybody!

I use .010 strings..

Thank you!

Maurizio

The bridge saddle is sensitive to angle and will buzz if it is not correct. The front edge of the saddle needs to be perpendicular to the top of the guitar. If it angles back or forwards, the setup is wrong. Of course this may not be the only issue. you may have a relief issue or a tall fret somewhere, but saddle angle is first on the punch list.

Dave Rowe

www.daverowemusic.com

www.myspace.com/daverowetrio

www.facebook.com/pages/Dave-Rowe-Trio/6537072774

www.youtube.com/user/daverowe

The bridge saddle is sensitive to angle and will buzz if it is not correct. The front edge of the saddle needs to be perpendicular to the top of the guitar. If it angles back or forwards' date=' the setup is wrong. Of course this may not be the only issue. you may have a relief issue or a tall fret somewhere, but saddle angle is first on the punch list.

[/quote']

Cheers for this Dave it pointed out to me why my Synapse had suddenly developed a buzz, my saddles had all dropped to one side.

Archived