Gibson Brands Forums

Changing string gauge from 10-46 to 13-72 on a Transcale / Fret Buzz Problem

DannyTaki

(summary at bottom of post)

Hi, I want to have the strings on my Transcale from the factory strings (10-46 I think they are) to a set of baritones (13-72) that I bought. My question is: should I risk trying to put these on myself? I don't really know anything about setting action/intonation/truss rod, so I was thinking about getting it professionally done. My guitar also has had horrible fret buzz forever (Even after getting a 100$ set-up which did nothing but net me a new set of strings, and then getting a factory replacement that also had the fret buzz.), so I was thinking about trying a set-up one more time.

I'm also wondering if you guys think that a standard Guitar Center guitar tech would be able to work on the Transcale. It seems like none of the guitar techs I've seen before have ever even seen a steinberger before, but I guess it's possible that it's no harder than working on a Les Paul or something.

Also, regarding the fret buzz I mentioned earlier, does anyone else seem to have that problem with their Transcale? As I said, my first one had the problem of extremely noticeable fret buzz on every single fret and open string. After a professional set-up that did nothing except net me a $100 set of strings, I sent it into the factory to use my warrantee. 2-3 months later, I was sent another Transcale which had the exact same problem. I didn't feel like waiting 2-3 months for a new one that probably would have the same problem, so I just started to deal with it. I'm beginning to get tired, however, of my ears fooling me into thinking that I'm playing a sitar whenever I play on a clean setting.

None of my 200-600$ Epiphones/Yamahas/Ibanezes have this problem, and my $1100 Steinberger does. I was thinking of trying to invoke my warrantee for a full return because I think a Spirit with upgraded pickups would suit me well, but I don't think I'm guaranteed that right with either the factory or from musiciansfriend.

In a nutshell:

-Should I take my Transcale to Guitar Center to have the 10-46 strings changed to 13-72 strings, or try changing them myself, though I don't know anything about setting up guitars?

-Is consistent fret buzz across the whole fretboard a tradeoff of having a baritone scale length guitar? That is what all the guitar techs told me, although I took it to be a bunch of BS and just assumed they didn't know how to fix it.

-Is it possible to use either the factory warrantee or the Musician's Friend warranty (Gold something-or-other) to just get a full refund?

Thanks for reading the post if you did, sorry I went along a little long :P

Even if you have no xp with guitar set-ups, the Steinberger Synapse Transcale should be just about idiot proof. I'm sure you've read the set-up manuals on the main website. They aren't that complicated. Just take off the old strings, string the new ones on, tune up, and follow the truss rod instructions first...be very effin careful! It may take a couple of days to do this properly. Turn the truss rod little bit by little bit (what I mean here is don't try to fix this puppy in one go either) and let it sit overnight. Then repeat as necessary until perfect. It'll probably help if you played the guitar for a little while afterwards too (maybe an hour or so). After that then you will definitely need to change your action and the intonation. once again follow the instructions found on the main site. This you can fix in one go. If you find fret buzz, raise the action on that side a little. Think about it, if a bass can have no fret buzz, then there is no reason your baritone can not have fret buzz. So save yourself some money! I have had very bad experiences with guitar center techs. I find if I just fix it myself, it always comes out the way I want it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the response. Well, I began the process of swapping the strings, and all was going well until I tried putting the new low-E string (the 72) in. It doesn't fit through the headpiece! It's a single-ball string, so I can't just place it in the slot. I even took unscrewed the little bolt all the way until it popped out, and I can't fit the string through. It fits in for a few inches, but then another coating of winding prevents it from coming through. Isn't this supposed to be a baritone guitar? Therefore, shouldn't I be able to put baritone strings in it? What's the deal?

Well, I found a workaround (it may or may not have involved a warranty-voiding course of action... I'll never tell!), and I tuned up, and it's working great! I haven't made any adjustments to truss rod, action, nor intonation yet. I've just been playing it. With it currently tuned down a major fourth (5 half-steps), the action seems just a little higher up than it was previously. Definitely not at acoustic-action level though. Hopefully the neck won't be a U by the time I wake up tomorrow morning!

Archived