Gibson Brands Forums

My GM7T thin E string has dead sound on fret

nick1281758314

• 2 weeks later...
Im come from Hong Kong' date=' has a GM7T, but it has a problem dead sound on a thin E string. i cannot adjust to solve this problem, would anyone help me how to set it ? thanks[/quote']

You may have the string too low, or you do not have enough relief in your neck, or there is a high fret, or a low fret. It could be a number of things as you can see. You would need to give more information for anyone to help. Does it sound dead on every fret, or just one fret?

Set your action no lower than about 1.25mm at the 12th fret ,and you can (and should) set the relief (only on moses and fibrosonix ) almost dead straight.

If you still have a problem ,is it just on one or two frets or still the whole neck?

• 2 weeks later...

You may have the string too low, or you do not have enough relief in your neck, or there is a high fret, or a low fret. It could be a number of things as you can see. You would need to give more information for anyone to help. Does it sound dead on every fret, or just one fret?

it does not on every fret, just on 7th fret thin E.

Set your action no lower than about 1.25mm at the 12th fret ' date='and you can (and should) set the relief (only on moses and fibrosonix ) almost dead straight.

If you still have a problem ,is it just on one or two frets or still the whole neck?[/quote']

if i want to adjust the neck, how to do that?

it does not on every fret' date=' just on 7th fret thin E. [/quote']

Sounds like the 8th fret is high. You would need a straight edge to put on the 8th fret and see if it rocks from the 7th to 9th. The straight edge can only span the 3 fret for it to work. There are special tools to check for high or low frets you can get at guitar repair supply shops.

See here: Fret Rocker

Sounds like the 8th fret is high. You would need a straight edge to put on the 8th fret and see if it rocks from the 7th to 9th. The straight edge can only span the 3 fret for it to work. There are special tools to check for high or low frets you can get at guitar repair supply shops.

See here: Fret Rocker

Sounds like some minor fretwork needed.

A good excuse to get it Pleked.

Archived