Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fdsman

Spirit Avaliability?

I called both registered dealers in CA, and Sam Ash was a bust, I was transferred from person to person, and was hung up on. But I can safely say they probably won't have one. Have the Spirits been discontinued? Because I had really hoped to own some kind of Steinberger. So if anyone knows where I can get one new, preferably a Deluxe model, that would be great, Mmmmk?

-Thanks,

fdsman

It seems that all the dealers are supposed to be getting Spirit models in during the first or second week of September. I actually ordered one from Musiciansfriend, only to have an e-mail sent saying it was on back order an hour later. It hacks me off when you order and pay for something, then get a back-order notice...don't these retailers have some inventory control? Anyhow, after a bit of hassling over the phone, I canceled my order with them...why be out $400 on my credit card and have nothing to show for it for a month. Not buying from them again needless to say.

I sent an e-mail to sweetwater.com next, and got a phone call from them within 15 minutes. The salesman was very helpful, but stated they won't be getting any Spirit models until mid-September. He checked on special ordering me one from the factory, and said that is possible (I didn't elect to do that though, because of the extra costs involved). So, it does look like the Spirits are still being produced, but that it is a factory supply issue. I'd check back with your retailer in Mid-September...and all costs being equal, I'd recommend Sweetwater.com, their customer service seems top notch.

-Mike

I have heard that a lot of factories in China were shut down due to the air pollution they create. The air pollution was and is so bad that it has affected the Olympic Games. I am guessing that perhaps the factory where the Steinberger is made may have been subject to these governmentt mandated temporary closures. I ordered two guitars from Musicians' Friend which were due Aug. 8 and now has been rescheduled for September.

That's a good point about the factory shut-downs, and may very well account for the hold-up. It appears the supply issue is one that has been ongoing in the past with Gibson/Steinberger and Musicyo (the old exclusive retailer) though too. I was looking in the archives on HarmonyCentral bass forum and there were some posts on there regarding Gibson's supply of Steinies to Musicyo. It appears that they would get shipments in limited spurts, sell out quickly, and then leave folks on back order for a few months at a time. So maybe this isn't a new problem, but with the shift to different retailers it just seems like it to us new customers. Granted, this is all just speculation...what else do I have to do while waiting for the shipment to come in :)

-Mike

Hmm, interesting, although I don't know how much smoke a guitar factory would output, good point. Lets all head to china, or where ever they are produced( I think Korea) and demand a fresh Steinie off the line! If only we could actually talk to someone at Steinberger instead of a Gibson rep, we might actually get the inside scoop.

I actually got a call from someone at musiciansfriend today. The salesperson called to inform me that they would be getting a shipment on the 8th of September, and she even told me how many they would be getting in. Looks like their customer service might be better than I was initially exposed too. The supply they're getting is pretty small, like 6 of them on the 8th, though she said they'd be getting more in October also. Now again, this is for the Spirit basses not the guitars (I wish these forums would differentiate), but you might want to contact your dealer and actually ask when they are expecting supply.

Best,

Mike

I don't care about smoke in China if Walsh and May win Gold!! USA, USA, USA!!! :)

I just got an email from Musicians' Friend saying the Spirit guitar I originally ordered back in June is now postponed even further to Sept. 29. This is the 4th date they have given me. Hopefully the factory will get up to speed and the guitar will be in at the end of Sept. They ordered 15 guitars from the manufacturer and only 6 have been reserved for customers.

I traded emails last week with someone in support at Gibson. They told me that the Spirit GT-PRO has definitely NOT been discontinued.

FWIW,

Doody