Gibson Brands Forums

Spirit vs Synapse Bass

younggun1281758315

Anyone out there played both of these? I'm thinking very serious about picking up a Spirit, but would be willing to save up the extra $600 for the Synapse IF it is worth it. Unfortunately I'm not in a town that has a dealer where I could try them out for comparison. Is the Synapse that much better than the Spirit? What's the difference in the sound? My take on the major price difference between them is the graphite U-channel, but how much of a difference does it really make? Is it a reliability thing?...it doesn't seem that a graphite U-channel would make a huge difference in playability or sound. Obviously the pickups are going to have a huge effect on the sound, but I wouldn't think the piezo bridge and center EMG pickup would account for the huge cost differential (I could be wrong there though). I guess what it comes down to is...Will I be disappointed if I buy a Spirit and be kicking myself for not going for the (much) more expensive model?

-Mike

• 4 years later...

I've had a Spirit XT-2 for some 10 years now.

I wasn't comfortable with the sound. The first string wasn't loud enough. It improved when I turned one of the mics upside down.

Later I changed the mics. I routed the XT-2 to make room for a couple of passive Bartolinis.

That improved matters a lot.

I also installed a switch to enable inverting the phase of the coils, which gave a wider range of sound possibilities.

However, I was still wanting to try active electronics, So I got some active EMGs and on-board preamp.

The routing done previously was fine.

The sound is much better that the original. Not necessarily better than the Bartolinis.

I have recently got a Synapse 15FPA, which has a more open sound, like a piano.

Archived