Gibson Brands Forums

staying in tune with an R-Trem?

angelito63

Hey Everybody,

A few years ago I bought a Spirit and although it's a very playable instrument with a great sound, in its unlocked position the R-trem doesn't stay in tune. After pushing down on it it detunes a bit, and after pulling up it stays a bit sharp.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to remedy this?

Greetz,

Francis,

Ghent,

Belgium

Either your knife edges are a bit worn or your spring is fatigued or a bit of both.

The solution is to sharpen and clean up the knife edges and to replace the spring .You may be able to find an automotive replacement (higher quality.) The posts often lean forward as well bending the baseplate. You should gently bend the base back flat with the studs removed and the reinstall the posts in the opposite holes to get a new part of the stud to align with the knife edge. The front edge of the Trem must also clear the rout or it will not return to pitch ,bending the base flat usually fixes this one. Good luck.

Since you're from Belgium, I can tell you the following thing:

Hohner G3T is using the same licensed Steinberger R-trem bridge as Steinberger Spirit.

Last week I ordered a spare bridge from an authorized Hohner dealer. The price was 65 euros, so that's not so much.

The central warehouse of Hohner is located in Germany so I presume you could get your spare bridge even sooner than I'm gonna get mine.

Automotive' date=' is that a brand?[/quote']

"Automotive" means "being produced/used for building cars". So chance is that visiting your local car service station you might be able to find a spring that fits your trem :-)

Bernd

Archived