Gibson Brands Forums

Set Screw Head Stripped / SS-2F Custom

Goocher

Anyone,

I adjusted the string height of high E - G. As instructed in the manual, I first loosened the "set screw" before making adjustments. When I was done, I tightened the set screw, and it stripped immediately. It's like the thing was made of lead.

I just bought the guitar a little over a week ago. It's a great instrument. But this surprised me. Definitely not a steel screw.

Anyone else had this problem, and what to do?

Thanks

Is it the screw or the hole that stripped?

All Steinberger hardware apart from the very early milled stuff is made from pot metal.(Oh and the newTT3.)

If it is the screw you should be able to get a better one instead of an actual replacement.You need to adjust these with kid gloves and they will work fine( not that I wouldn't like it to be made out of REAL metal.)

Is it the screw or the hole that stripped?

Eagle, it was the little hex screw head. Now that it's stripped, I'm not sure what to do for future adjustements. The "good news" (if there is any) is that it stripped when it was all the way in. But I'll never be able to unscrew it again for future adjustments, at least not as-is.

Any suggestions? Seems like a serious design flaw to use such soft metal for a "set screw". Do I need to send this thing to an authorized dealer now? Send it back to Musician's Friend and get a replacement?

Try a slightly larger allan key with the end tapered .You can easily make one by grinding the flats at a slight angle.

Failing this I would ask them to get you another bridge if you like the guitar,as the quality control will not guarantee that another guitar would necessarily be as good.

• 1 month later...

If the hex screw head is stripped, just put a drop of superglue onto the hex wrench head and set it into the stripped screw. After the glue has set, unscrew as usual. Replace it with a new part.

Yup. THe metal on the hex screws is way soft. I've had trouble with the ones at the headpiece that hold the non-double ball end strings into place.

Archived