Gibson Brands Forums

Thinking about a Spirit

MFB1281758316

Well, I'm thinking about taking the plunge and getting possibly a Spirit, but not the SS or that style, the Superstrat style with the R Trem. However, the one thing I'm worried about it that the R-Trem is like every other tremolo out there. 'Cause if there's one thing I've made it a point to stay away from, it's a tremolo. So, with that in mind I was hoping you guys could help clear up a few things?

Is it more of the vibrato tremolo, or is it like a Floyd where you can flutter and whatnot?

Can you easily change tunings without having to worry about intonation?

Is still a pain in *** to change strings like it is with other floating bridges?

Thanks for the help guys

…one thing I've made it a point to stay away from' date=' it's a tremolo. [/quote']

I don't own a guitar with an R-Trem, but maybe I can explain the principles.

First: since you can lock the R-Trem, you can use it like a fixed bridge. No need to care about the tremolo, if you don't want to use it.

Is it more of the vibrato tremolo' date=' or is it like a Floyd where you can flutter and whatnot?[/quote']

Not sure what exactly the difference is, but yes, it's somewhat similar to a FR. There are knife edges, there is a spring (pushing, not pulling like on an FR), and you can bend up and down… as long as it is unlocked.

Can you easily change tunings without having to worry about intonation?

In principle it's a simple one- or two-step action:

- if you use the system only locked' date=' simply tune it as desired

- if you use the trem, first lock the system for tuning and then unlock and re-adjust the spring tension using the corresponding knob.

Is still a pain in *** to change strings like it is with other floating bridges?

Definitely not. String changing works as with fixed bridges, as long as the system is locked.

Bernd

The guitar I'm looking at is actually like yours Be.eM, with the full body not the "Oar" style

So, if I were to just use the tremolo in the locked position and not worry about the bar or anything I could change tunings in the middle of a show and not worry about it sounding out of tune due to intonation and everything?

The guitar I'm looking at is actually like yours Be.eM' date=' with the full body not the "Oar" style[/quote']

Well, this is a GM-4TA. The guitar you want is a Spirit GU, which looks very similar. Ha, the MY links still work :-)

Spirit GU

There are several of them on ebay currently.

So' date=' if I were to just use the tremolo in the locked position and not worry about the bar or anything I could change tunings in the middle of a show and not worry about it sounding out of tune due to intonation and everything?[/quote']

Yes. Keep it locked and tune to whatever you need.

Bernd

Archived