Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sumner77

quality starter mandolin?

Greetings. Not sure this is the right part of the forum, but I'm interested in learning to play mandolin. I would appreciate any thoughts on a quality instrument to buy that isn't a huge investment. I'd like to buy something around $500, but could go higher if the tone or playability was truly much better. Thanks.

Not much shakin' mandolinwise here at the gibson forum. Try mandolincafe.com. It's supported in part by Gibson and the mandoliners are thicker'n bugs on a bumper in June.

Johnson mandolins. Made in China but the one I have has a solid carved top, and back, excellent sound and only cost me $80. Check them out.

I have been playing the mandolin most of my life. I have an old Gibson in new condition, I love it. The price realy went up from 1933 when my dad got it, now I would be in the $ 500.00 price range. Many people make nice mandolins for that price range. M. Kelly is one of the better ones. I like the F style vs the A style because it looks better. The higher tones are not as clear on the A.

Michael Kelly makes decent mandolins for the money. Ovation too. $500 will go far for a good mandolin. Stay away from the low end Ibanez. Every one I have ever touched was very poor quality.

I like the sound of the Kentucky mandolin's my uncle has Top of the line Gibson and A Walker, and a Kentucky and that one sounds really good to me and he likes and plays it often when performing!!! And they are some about that price range!!!

Go a little higher in price and get a older A 1 style Gibson... why buy a Cheap brand when a Good one isnt that far away...?...