Gibson Brands Forums

Wanted: Steinberger Spirit GT-Pro Single Ball End String Attachment

mattyjaytee

Howdy,

I'm the proud owner of a Steinberger Spirit GT-PRO Deluxe (H-S-H) that I got off the old MusicYo site about 8 years ago. They had a $20 Off sale and I snagged this little gem for a mere $279! Truly a steal. GREAT guitar! I've hauled it on planes all over the world without incident, and it's one heckuva solid, rockin' mo-sheen. Stays in tune... forEVER. The stock EMG Selects sound pretty dang good (especially for the price point). I replaced the middle single coil with a Lipstick-style P/U, but it was mostly just for looks (A little more chrome never hurts...).

They (MusicYo, that is) used to offer an attachment that screwed into the end of the neck and allowed you to use regular, single-ball-end strings with it. I meant to order it, but never got around to it. I checked out the site a while back and noticed that they've restructured things a bit, and that they no longer offer that particular part.

Anyone know where I can get this attachment? Or where I might look? I've checked out Ebay a few times, but to no avail. It looks like the new Synapse line has this built in as a standard feature. Anyone have any experience with this feature? Is it as stable as using the double-ball-end strings?

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I really wouldn't follow the previous suggestion, and I'll tell you both why:

While either the string adapter, or the insert into the Synapse or Headless Research headpieces, are made out of steel, your regular Spirit headpiece is only made out of the much softer Zamac (a zinc-based alloy).

Then opening holes and threads for those screws, into the slots (which is an even more fragile situation) would not last much before the headpiece would get damaged at all, I think...

The headpiece in the photo is yet another one, as in the Moses replacement or baritone conversion necks, it's their own model, not compatible with other models, either from Steinberger or Headless Research.

As another member suggested, the best is that you'll keep an eye on eBay, where the Steinberger string adapters often show up, unless you'll want to invest on a permanet and compatible solution, as the previously mentioned HR headpiece, which is combo.

Greetings, JPB

You can do it by yourself using a drill' date=' you can find the special screws easily in a hardware store but you need to be very careful...

image001wu8.jpg

That is a moses headpiece made of steel , the Steinberger one is pot metal an is in no way up to the job, even if you did drill and tap it perfectly it would strip out immediately.

• 1 month later...
Hi!

There is an ebay store named Custom headless.

You can find a string adaptator there.

Awesome find! I was curious about this and was wondering about getting one for the Spirit GT-Pro Deluxe when it comes in today :-) Also, has anyone changed out this piece before? Does it come with instructions on how to replace and does it come off easy or do you need to pry it off?

• 7 months later...

Archived