Gibson Brands Forums

Steinberger tremolo

Robert S.

Hi guys, new member with a question. I apologize if this is in the wrong area.

I have a 1988 Gibson V with a Steinberger tremolo that I would like to replace with an original Steinberger trem or at the very least find the proper trem arm for. Is there a place that I can find this trem or parts?

I can post pics if nessessary.

Thanks for any help I can get!

Robert

I have a 1988 Gibson V with a Steinberger tremolo that I would like to replace with an original Steinberger trem or at the very least find the proper trem arm for. Is there a place that I can find this trem or parts?

Hi Robert' date='

on a 1988 Gibson, I'm pretty sure you've got a Steinberger KB-S Trem, like on my Gibson U2 (and several Epiphones, Hohners etc. from that decade): Steinberger KB Trem

Neither Gibson nor Hohner (or others) offer replacement parts for this trem… I've asked them all. You sometimes see such a trem (or a guitar with one installed) showing up on ebay, but in most cases

- the trem arm is missing and

- the posts holding the moving upper part of the trem are bent.

I doubt you'll find a single trem arm, but it should be simple to get one made by a friend with some metal working experience. It's just a simple rod, with a diameter of 6 mm, bent twice. No threads, nothing special. I could take a photo, if it helps.

Bernd

I too have a 1988 Steinberger equiped Gibson. An SG jr with the same trem problems. The people at the Gibson custom shop may have some leads as to where you might find a replacement. The last time I looked, I was unable to find exactly what I was looking for. The problem mine has is that the adjustment screw has become damaged and stripped the threads in the casting. This is a special 4 lead 6MM screw and IMPOSSIBLE to to repair. Replacement is the only option. A friend told me these were made by Kahler. He used to be a guitar salesman so chances are he is right. If you look at yours, does it say UNDER LICENSE on the 1st string side? I was told by an other friend that you can find these at several parts houses, but I have not had any luck. I have tried Warmoth, AllParts, etc.. If any one out there knows where we cold find this part please let us know!!

Archived