Gibson Brands Forums

Constant String Breakage on Synapse.

yaunchi

For some reason the high E string on my synapse keeps breaking. I have been using the Steinberger double ball strings exclusively. Are these strings crappy or could there be another issue. Been practicing alot of leads but I haven't been bending that much where I should be breaking 6 strings a week. And does anyone have any recommendations for ordering single string sets of double balls? Buying packs is getting old & expensive.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...

If your breaking one string all the time, it's probably the saddle.

I have never broken a string in my life.

They don't just break and I hit them hard.

They need a reason to break and hard play isn't enough.

The saddle must be cutting into your your string.

You can confirm this by seeing where it is breaking.

If it always breaks at the saddle end, smooth the grove out with a file and a light touch.

You should never break a string.

If you are breaking them in different locations then the strings suck and change them.

I don't know who makes strings for Steinberger but there are other options as others have told you.

• 1 month later...

I agree that strings usually don't just break. They are either flawed/damaged, or there is a problem with the guitar's hardware. You haven't been specific as to the circumstances of the break. Usually if there is a problem with a sharp edge on the saddle, the string should break at that end and there should be some signs of wear if you look closely at the broken string. Also, if you run your finger around the saddle, you can sometimes actually pick up the problem by feel. As for what action you take, if you are not familiar with diagnosing the cause of string breakage, then you may want think twice about your competence to undertake remedial work on the offending saddle. You might be better off at least getting a second opinion from a competent guitar tech and paying to have the work done. If shouldn't cost you very much for the peace of mind that it will bring. Good luck.

Archived