Gibson Brands Forums

Is the quality of Spirit guitars really this bad?

Tomek

Hi everybody, and sorry for a negative first post.

I purchased a lefty GT Pro Deluxe a few weeks ago, and while I liked it a lot of a number of reasons, I had to return it. The bridge, when used as a trem, would rub against the body, making it useless. Also, it came with a righty tremolo arm. So today, after almost three weeks of waiting, I finally receive the replacement. Now, it doesn't have the same bridge problem, but the general quality is pretty bad: the headpiece is off-center, the leg rest is loose and there is a big unflinished hole under it, the finish in several spots (around the bridge, at the edge of the fretboard) is bad. And it came with a righty trem bar again!

I'm going to play with it when I get home and give it a fair chance, but honestly I'm a little frustrated. I really wanted one of these, and I understand it's not a top of the line gutar, but I've seen better quality in $125 Chinese guitars. Both the guitars I received should've been marked as factory seconds, if that.

So, what's everyone else's experience with the recent Spirits? Or is it just the lefty ones?

You didn't mention who was the seller company, anyway you'd better not give up until you're satisfied, swapping the trem bar is quite cheap, from the postage point of view.

Now about that unfinished hole, is it hidden under the fixed portion of the leg rest which attach to the body by means of two screws?

Also, is the headpiece badly centered onto the neck tip, or are the string slots a bit offcenter in the headpiece (as this is correct indeed)?

Greetings, JPB

• 3 weeks later...

So Tomek, any new updates?

I'm also a lefty and was thinking of getting the exact model you got. Musicians Friend is selling them at a decent price right now. I'm just waiting for my tax refund to kick in before making the purchase. As for getting a righty trem, I've gotten those with other guitars so I think it's just laziness when they pack it at the factory. The good news is that it's not the end of the world and they can be exchanged for a lefty. I hope you have given it enough time to give me good hopes in making a solid purchase when my time comes.

By the way, where did you purchase yours?

Archived