Gibson Brands Forums

I can't get this damn thing to transpose keys....HELP

Dave Houseknecht

I bought this ZT3 from House of Guitar in Rochester, NY. I ordered it Thursday and got it Tuesday. Never saw or played one before. It arrived today and the owners manual is no help. The dealer/salesman never played one. Gibson can't talk me thru it on the phone. They emailed a video of Mr Steinberger setting up the tuning and intonation. But no one can show me how to initiate the trasposing mechanism. I think it may be malfunctioning as it looks so simple on their video. Can anyone help me? Thanks Dave Houseknecht drcasa@yahoo.com

hi, i'm in a similar position--i got the guitar about a week ago and love its feel, playability and unique tones--have watched the video and have already gigged with the instrument BUT the transtrem mechanism is far from clear and has not worked for me--the manual does not explain it adequately and the video assumes that when you screw in the arm it's functioning as it should ... when i use the trem to shift there's a lot of squeeking and metallic grinding sounds and when i use it just for trem purposes ditto--i've been able with some difficulty to make the pitch drop but not to raise it--there appears to be a locking mechanism with notches under the back of the trem mechanism and these notches must be what determine the pitch you're in ... but my guitar came with the trem unnotched and it takes some effort to reconnect it--not at all the seamless transition shown in the video--also in the video ned's trem has 2 nuts and my guitar came with only one--don't know if that matters--very frustrating because i'm in canada and there appears to be absolutely no support to deal with issues like this--i've already spent a coupe of hours trying to get it working and still the odd sounds when the trem gets used and no seamless transpositions as per the demo video ... help! (dfischli@uoguelph.ca)

This is the email I sent to Dave and it seemed to help him. He got his working now.

"Some have come in needing adjusting.

What basically happens is you pull up or push down on the bar and then push the bar toward the floor to lock it in place (transposed up or down). If it is not locking, there is an adjustment you probably saw them talk about in the video that needs to be tweaked so it will lock. The adjustment allows the transposing slots to line up.

Let me know if this makes any sense to you."

He sent me this in response to me asking him his opinion of it.

On Feb 11, 2009, at 12:26 PM, drcasa@yahoo.com wrote:

Brent, Here are my impressions: Neck feels great. Plays nice. Even compaired to my '75 Les Paul Custom. Nice and light as well. Balance is good. I like the synthetic fingerboard. The push-pull pots feel a little flimsy. As volume and tone nobs they are fine. Personally, they should have used small toggle switches (like the one they used for the pick-up selector.) The pick-up selector is too small. Finish is very nice. I got the blue. From the demo video I though it would sound a lot like a stratocaster with the pick-ups in single coil.....but it does not. That could be due to my amp which is a Soldano Hot Rod 50 Plus. I don't have an opinion on the pick-ups as of yet. That is my take on it so far. Hope that gives you some insight. Overall....its a nice guitar. Dave

Archived