Gibson Brands Forums

Transcale slight buzz is this normal?

resonatorman

Hiya

I just got a new synapse transcale. I have 10-46 strings on it tuned down a whole step to D in it's open position. As I have not owned one of these guitars before (& they're not stocked in Australia where i live so I can't compare it), but I was wondering is it normal for this guitar to have slight buzz sound that sounds as though it originates from around the the nut area? At first I thought one of the philips head screws on the capo was loose but I checked & adjusted the tightness, however it is even there when you take the capo off. You can hear it irregardless of which string you hit & especially notice it more with open strings. I read through a previous post with someone who had a buzzing on the E string, I have looked at some of suggestions there & followed them but not done a truss rod adjustment yet. So anyway wanted to know if this is just part of the guitar?

Many thanks in advance.....

Have you checked the screws that hold regular single ball strings in place? Also try another set of strings and make sure that the winding of the string (if double balls are installed) is not going over the zero fret.

If all else fails try wedging a tooth pick into the slots to see if you can isolate the buzzing.

Thanks I will try a new set of strings. Yep had already checked & tightened the screws.

On another note & sorry for the noob questions do most people have these gtrs tuned down to D with 10's on them & roll the capo up 2 frets to play in E or can the synapse handle being tuned to E in the open position?

Thanks

J

Thanks I will try a new set of strings. Yep had already checked & tightened the screws.

On another note & sorry for the noob questions do most people have these gtrs tuned down to D with 10's on them & roll the capo up 2 frets to play in E or can the synapse handle being tuned to E in the open position?

Thanks

J

That would be a great poll question. Sorry I can't answer it!

Hi Brent

Thanks for your reply. Got to the bottom of the buzz, diagnosed it with the toothpick, thanks for suggestion. Although the headpiece/bridge screws were tight, seemingly underneath it there is a a small rectangular plate/washer that the screws feed through was loose or not affixed properly & this was the culprit that was rattling/buzzing. I'm assuming this plate came from underneath the headpieces I hadn't taken the strings off (I had loosened them) & when I unscrewed the screws the headpiece popped off along with this plate, I put it back as what i would seem the logical place for it go. Anyway seemingly sorted now, with no more buzzing.

Maybe we should do a poll then? Anyway how do you have yours set-up?

Cheers

J

Hi Brent

Anyway how do you have yours set-up?

Cheers

J

I have eight Steinberger but I do not have a Synapse. That is one of the reasons I could not answer your question. But being a member of the Steinberger_World Yahoo group I have heard a lot about them and seems like a lot of people tune them to E or E flat but a poll would be best to find out.

Hello! To me, the answer its simple: it's as normal to have a slight buzz in the Transcale under these conditions, as is normal to use a 10-46 string set in a baritone guitar which the Transcale is.

By other words, these strings are a too light gauge for the 28 5/8" scale lenght the Transcale has, and for the intended tuning, so will get a bit sloppy when downtuned that much.

I'd advice you to change to a baritone strings set, either the Synapse Transcale original, or single-ball baritone sets such as Yamaha Drop 6 Heavy (12-66), D'Addario EXL158 (13-62) or XL157(14-68) or Ernie Ball Slinky Baritone (13-72), etc.

Greetings, JPB

Archived