Gibson Brands Forums

Static when touching pickguard on either of my Les Paul Custom's

flashbak

SOOOOH, it's YOU! You're full of "Static!" LOL!

Well, in the New Mexico dryness, that's a real possibility.

(Gosh, I hope you're still Dry?...Parts of NM had a major flood, huh?)

Hope that didn't effect you, or any "family!"

Hope you get it figured out, and/or it "goes away"....

CB

The static being generated has nothing to do with the wiring, shielding, pickups or anything else electrical on the guitar. It is being caused by the vinyl pickguard. A dryer sheet will fix this.

Or if you prefer, you can take your guitar to a technician and pay him to shield and triple ground everything, take all the fluorescent lights out of your house, ban anyone in the neighborhood from running an electric drill or shaver while you're playing (and that includes any electrical toys your mom might be using in the other room) and until you will still have the static pop until you treat it with a dryer sheet.

I'll give the static sheet a try. In researching this problem I came across a person who claims to have had the static issue and he replaced the jack which he claims fixed the issue. It is weird how you can hold the guitar by the edges of the body and tilt it up horizontally and hear all kinds of static and crackles. Charlie Brown thanks for the NM concern but we are all fine here! #-o

• 10 years later...
post-89356-044685400 1549658667_thumb.jpgAll you need to do is discharge your static , You are like a capacitor, when you walk accross the carpet you charge yourself, just touch the little screw that holds the light switch cover in place, it goes thru the switch which is grounded. In the dry winter months you may even hear a little snap crackle pop...Mike

• 4 years later...

I came to this forum because I was having an identical problem.  I got rid of about 90% of the problem by opening up the back cover and bending the ground wire away from the walls and cover.  I then covered it (albeit crudely) in electrical tape.  The "static" sound is no longer present on the pick guard and is almost completely unheard except for a very sporadic "pop" or "ping" that could be accounted for as simple body static discharge.