Gibson Brands Forums

Black Beauty with maple neck??

daveinspain

Hi guys,

Has anyone ever heard of or seen a Black Beauty with a maple neck? I have a guy who has a 1978 BB with a maple nech... He says they are very rare but they did make them... He says they made around 6 or 7 hunderd of them starting around 1972... Is this true??

Yep the maple neck was definitely a option I had a 1978 Black beauty with a maple neck for years in fact I bought in 78 or 79 new at a shop in Mesa Arizona called Milano's music one of my first guitars. I can try to chase down a few pics but they weren't all that rare I've seen 5 or 6 for sale in the couple years when I was thinking about trying to replace it for nostalgic purposes. Want a rare Black beauty from the 70's find one with frets that work?

I guess we should say Maple Fretboards instead of neck since almost all of them had the three piece Maple necks even the ones with rosewood fretboards if I recall

Yep but honestly hadn't been into Milano's for years last time I was in there was to pick up a Godin Multiac Jazz.

I've never really been able to decide on maple necks sometime they look good other times just too much like a Fender look I guess. the have a good feel and action but they sure wear out fast when compared to ebony or rosewood. I really like the worn look on a old beat up Tele or Strat but just seems wrong on a Paul.

There is a shop directly across the street from Milanos called M-Tronics, I believe owned by the same family, anyway they have a whole bunch of vintage stuff in there. They do mostly repair and consignment work there, but when I was in there I saw a vintage Laney head with matching 412 cab, and a couple of Marshalls along with some pretty cool guitars. Some of it is pure junk, but some are pretty nice stuff. I enjoy going through there, you never know when you'll come across a real diamond in the rough.

Archived