Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Tribute?

fantasupernova

Not a bad question got me double gassing thinking about it.

I think from looking around that both are solid body not chambered. Both have similar electronics except that the tribute has push pull pots for coil tap.

obvious differences are 57 classics or burstbuckers, I have 57's in an SG and love the classic tone, havent played burstbuckers.

neck profiles there are basically three different profiles available in the two models.

Colors and veneers are different.

I'd go the tribute because of the pickups, the coil tap, and the 60's slim neck profile.

I purchased the Tribute....I still would like the 1959 as well. I chose the Tribute for the 57 classics, tuners and coil taps. Also the Tribute appears to have more for less money. Buy what ever one you like more, if the 1959 is anything like my tribute, they are awesome values. I used to own one of the most beautiful Gibson Les Paul Standards, and this out plays and has nicer tone imho. The Gibson is a better constructed guitar, but at 3x the price +:-@

Good luck with your decision.

I haven't tried the Tribute at all but the 1959 is very impressive.

Mine is the Iced Tea and she is trully amazing.

She plays very well, she sounds very well indeed and in the end, it is the better price/quality/sound guitar that I have (closely followed by the Gibson Les Paul Sudio Swamp Ash).

I honestly feel that at the price the 1959 is a great guitar and it is worth it.

I'm curious about the Tribute but I haven't had the oportunity to play one.

Good luck on your decision.

+1 on the Tribute.

I'm not familiar with the '59 but I own the Tribute. It's my only instrument with the 60's neck profile and I for one, love the feel. I wish my Agile had the same neck. Also, those Gibson '57 pups are awesome and along with the push/pull tone controls the variety of tonal quality is terrific.

As far as build quality and workmanship both are first rate on my copy. I put EB SuperSlinkys on mine and it plays as good as my LP's of old. Oh, and it comes with strap locks, too...a small thing I know.

4800629126_bbc75448d2_b.jpg

Epiphone 1960 LP Tribute

yes the 1959 have nitro finish, this pick was taken from the gibson web, go to gibson/electrics/epiphone and choose the 1959 std then details...and voila!post-18307-096566900 1282356871_thumb.png

Sorry to say, the finish is Poly not nitro. This is one of the many misprints on the Gibby pages. The tribute does not have a single piece neck as you can find if you look through the details on that guitar. The 1959 and the Tribute both have new, high quality finish processes in poly. Here is another part of the same section of the details of the 1959....

Creating the finish on the 1959 Les Paul Standard is one of the most labor-intensive processes of building guitars, but it’s worth it. After hand-sanding, the guitar is sprayed by skilled painters in order to achieve the perfect “burst” pattern using high-quality stain. After drying, the guitar is then sealed by four thin coats of polyurethane, each one buffed to an illustrious shine before adding the next. The entire process of painting a the ‘59 takes nine days!

Sorry to say, the finish is Poly not nitro. This is one of the many misprints on the Gibby pages. The tribute does not have a single piece neck as you can find if you look through the details on that guitar. The 1959 and the Tribute both have new, high quality finish processes in poly. Here is another part of the same section of the details of the 1959....

Creating the finish on the 1959 Les Paul Standard is one of the most labor-intensive processes of building guitars, but it’s worth it. After hand-sanding, the guitar is sprayed by skilled painters in order to achieve the perfect “burst” pattern using high-quality stain. After drying, the guitar is then sealed by four thin coats of polyurethane, each one buffed to an illustrious shine before adding the next. The entire process of painting a the ‘59 takes nine days!

Yeah, I really didn't think ANY Epis have a nitro finish. I'm wondering if nitro isn't somewhat overrated. You have to be very careful with it...you can't just rest it on any old guitar stand for example because of a chemical reaction which could damage the finish. I've been told that poly is more durable in other ways also. Also, poly is good as long as it's not applied too thick. Ever hear of some players who take Scotchbrite to their poly guitars to give it an aged satin look? Sheeesh....not me! [scared] The shinier the better for me...just like a freshly waxed car...that's what I like! [rolleyes] But that's me...don't want to offend any Scotchbrite fans here! Actually I suppose if it's done carefully and not overdone, it would look OK...but I won't be doing it anytime soon!

+1 on the Tribute.

I'm not familiar with the '59 but I own the Tribute. It's my only instrument with the 60's neck profile and I for one, love the feel. I wish my Agile had the same neck. Also, those Gibson '57 pups are awesome and along with the push/pull tone controls the variety of tonal quality is terrific.

As far as build quality and workmanship both are first rate on my copy. I put EB SuperSlinkys on mine and it plays as good as my LP's of old. Oh, and it comes with strap locks, too...a small thing I know.

4800629126_bbc75448d2_b.jpg

Epiphone 1960 LP Tribute

+1 NICE!

How about the ones I play a lot:

DSC05839.jpg

DSC01084.jpg

I really like them, I spent a lot less and upgraded them with Gibson PUs and coil taps, now I'm planning on doing some aging in both to look as Jimmy Page's #1.

LOVE that flame top!!!! [thumbup] IS that a honey burst finish? NICE! [biggrin]

What are your thoughts on this guitar and would you say it's better the Epiphone Les Paul 1959 model?

I like em both. I would like a hybrid of the 2. the tribute coil split and 57/57+ pickups and the strap locks. but I like the styl of the '59. the flamed top with the teaburst is SWEET! [thumbup]

Archived