Gibson Brands Forums

Standard SG (when was it last updated and will it be again?)

Hot Cake

I don't know if this is a funny question or not, but i hope you get what i'm asking.

When was the last time Gibson updated the SG Standard (via some modification or other)? I don't mean colour, but more like hardware or neck profile, for example. I'm guessing the 1990s? Will it be updated again at some point?

I mean this in a comparison to say, Fender, updating their range of US standards for guitars and basses (eg recently updated in 2008 across, Strats, Teles, Jazzes and Precisions, new improved bridges, tuners etc etc).

Very interesting question! You have me thinking now!

I don't believe the LP Standard has changed since 2006 with chambers and different pickups. They finally completely revamped it this year and introduced the Traditional as well.

I'm sure they will get there with the SG...eventually. To me though, there isn't *that* much they could do to improve it as it is already a fantastic guitar. Things like tuners and pickups (which seem just fine to me stock) are easily owner-modified.

If they did revamp it, I would like to see something similar to the '61 Reissue...but that wouldn't make much sense as the '61 is already one of Gibson's "bread and butter" models and there would be no real point to have such similar models.

I mean this in a comparison to say' date=' Fender, updating their range of US standards for guitars and basses (eg recently updated in 2008 across, Strats, Teles, Jazzes and Precisions, new improved bridges, tuners etc etc).[/quote']

Some of the changes at Fender are not new - or necessarily better.

Some of those features were on previous models at different times.

I like that they came back with the American Standard - like mine made in 1993....

Gibson has done the same thing, minor running changes over the years.

Some were announced to great fanfare, some quietly implemented so nobody noticed.

Sometimes it's a change that is undone, without acknowledging the fact it didn't work or sell very well.

Depends on what you mean by "updated?" Spec's as in electronics,

or "looks?" There's really only been 2 major differences, with SG's

(not counting SOME of the Norlin era travesties)...'61 with small pickguard, pickup rings,

and wider bevels, and '65 when the bevels were decreased somewhat, and

the "batwing" or full pickguard, and smaller headstock was introduced. Most

everything else, has been a variation, on those two versions. Some with Stop bar tail pieces.

others having bigsby or Maestro vibratos. Some of the "Norlin" era versions had bits of both, with added tone/volume control guards/mounting plates, as well....Not, the prettiest (or successful) versions, for sure!

Electronic changes, would be harder to keep up with.

CB

Hot Cake,

this is a great posting - I was actually just discussing this with someone within the last 3 weeks or so. this "person" with whom I was chatting told me that there is going to be a new design for the SG by the end of the year. I was told that it will be the SG Standard that will be refinished somewhat - the biggest change being the smaller pickguard like you see in the 61 reissue. I was also told that it will only be available in the 50's neck. Nothing was said about locking tuners, but that would make sense to me since they have done it on the new 2008 LP Standard.

I obviously can't say with 100% certainty that this is true - though information I've received in the past has been pretty solid. Always a chance he was just trying to rile me up knowing I would love to see that come to fruition. Though he seemed very serious, and knowing I'd be interested in it, suggested I put off any guitar purchases for a while until that comes out (he works at a local music store here in NYC). Not too many sales people attempt to sell you on holding onto your money and waiting.

anyway, food for thought. would be interesting to see if anyone else has heard anything along these lines.

Hot Cake' date='

this is a great posting - I was actually just discussing this with someone within the last 3 weeks or so. this "person" with whom I was chatting told me that there is going to be a new design for the SG by the end of the year. I was told that it will be the SG Standard that will be refinished somewhat - the biggest change being the smaller pickguard like you see in the 61 reissue. I was also told that it will only be available in the 50's neck. Nothing was said about locking tuners, but that would make sense to me since they have done it on the new 2008 LP Standard.

I obviously can't say with 100% certainty that this is true - though information I've received in the past has been pretty solid. Always a chance he was just trying to rile me up knowing I would love to see that come to fruition. Though he seemed very serious, and knowing I'd be interested in it, suggested I put off any guitar purchases for a while until that comes out (he works at a local music store here in NYC). Not too many sales people attempt to sell you on holding onto your money and waiting.

anyway, food for thought. would be interesting to see if anyone else has heard anything along these lines.

[/quote']

Hmmmmm, I don't think that would be a good idea.

Archived