Gibson Brands Forums

Production Records for Gibson Mandolins?

Madragada

I have my father's mandolin, Model A, Serial number: 7012.8, that I think was produced around 1922 - 1927. I read that Gibson has production records that list the serial numbers so I can better pinpoint when it was manufactured. Can anyone tell me where I can find a copy of these records?

mandolin_in_case_front1_sm.jpg

A lovely mandolin. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Gibson's pre-1936 shipping ledgers have been lost to the ravages of time. There are rumors of a few years of them hiding in private collections. In any event, it simply wont be possible to get the info you'd like.

John

A lovely mandolin. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Gibson's pre-1936 shipping ledgers have been lost to the ravages of time. There are rumors of a few years of them hiding in private collections. In any event, it simply wont be possible to get the info you'd like.

John

Thank you for the information, John. I thought that might be the case.

If you are interested, we have decided to try to sell the mandolin and I've created a website with more pictures...

http://www.trishah.com/mandolin

Best wishes,

Trishah

Gibson Model A mandolin - Serial # 70128 dates to 1922. I would guess it was made mid-1922, based on other serial #s from that year.

Thank you. From the hand-writing on the label it looked like the serial number was 7012-8 but I can see now from the records that it has to be 70128.

Thank you for the information.

If you are interested, we've added more pictures of the mandolin here at: http://www.trishah.com/mandolin

• 9 years later...
21 hours ago, MrsBAM said:

Hello,

I have my Grandfathers Gibson mandolin with the number 9876  in the sound hole.  Is there anything you can tell me about it.  

Thank you, Barbara

Probably dates between 1925 and 1931, most likely 1930 or 1931.  A photo is required for us to identify it further.

4 hours ago, MrsBAM said:

IMG_0479.jpg

I don't claim to be an expert on vintage Gibson mandolins, so I have to do some research. It's obviously a style A, but there are a lot of variations within that style. Is there any label inside, or evidence that it had a label? I'm assuming it says "The Gibson" on the headstock (face of the top of the neck, just above the tuning keys). Does it have evidence of a bracket (like a screw hole) in the side of the instrument just below the plastic pickguard?

There is not a label inside or evidence that there ever was a label.  There is the number 9876 only.  "The Gibson". is on the headstock.  There is not a plastic pick guard.  It appears to be just an area painted black .  The only screw hole I see as at the tailpiece.

Thank you so much for your help.

IMG_0482.jpg

fullsizeoutput_e9e.jpeg

I'm drawing a blank on this one. The squared -off headstock is more like a Kalamazoo (made by Gibson) than a Gibson, and the painted-on pickguard is outside my experience on a Gibson. It is more typical of Gibson off-brands (like Kalamazoo).

I'm hoping someone else will jump in on this.