Gibson Brands Forums

How Loud Do You Play At Home?

Rocky4

I don't play very loud at home because I know that anything over 85dba is bad for my ears. The damage is permanent.

When gigging, I keep the stage volume under 100dba and wear 15db high fidelity musician's ear plugs.

I have a few sound level meters (Radio Shack Brand) and keep them wherever I play.

I want to be able to enjoy music for the rest of my life.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

I love playing loud. I like to feel the sound as much as hear it. WHen I do play loud I do wear my head gear much like Paul Gilbert does. But I only play loud when my wife and kids aren't home. When they are home I play quitely with an attenuator on the Epi's or the master volume down on my ME50 with the 22 Calibers.

DSC03369.jpg

DSC03385.jpg

Stuff016.jpg

Not very. Louder than normal speaking voice; just a shade louder than pounding on a 12-string with a flatpick.

I damaged my ears enough younger in life. <grin> So... I'm sayin' what I think I'm playing for volume. Nobody's called the police on me, so...

m

As loud as it's comfortable for me. We have a house that's well separated from the others. I haven't "fixed up" my basement, so I play in my "studio room". I'm blessed I don't have to be quiet (I say that when the wife's not lookin') [cool]

I too live in the apartment style living arrangement with my fiancie, she never complains. Though one time she was doing laundry and I was strumming out a few things and walking around a few scales and she said she could hear me all the way down the hall.

I also happen to live on the third floor, I don't give a damn about the neighbours directly next to us because they smoke in the bathroom and it comes right into our apartment (and it's supposed to be a smoke free building.) Although the neighbours below us are very nice and they have a young little boy, I don't want to chance disturbing nap time. As I was coming home one night I ran into my neighbour's wife, and she asked me if I played guitar, I felt a bit embarrassed because I thought she'd be upset about the noise but she complimented my playing! I still try to keep it at a talking level though.

• 2 weeks later...
When you plug in at home, how loud do you play? Considering most amps sound best at high volume.

Do you play full out and risk having a visit by the cops, or are lucky enough to live out where that's not a problem?

I'm lucky, only a few homes close enough to be bothered when I play so I let 'er rip.

Very therapeutic.

[thumbup]

My 2x12 HR DeVille gets 80% of the playing time.

Volume on 4, Drive on 4. Pretty f-ing loud. At gigs I turn it DOWN to 2...

Old Quad Reverb gets played maybe 10% of the time, but I just got it overhauled so we'll see.

Next up - new Jensen speakers for it.

Also have the Marshall JCM 800 stack, but even for me it's WAY too f-ing loud inside the house.

Wife says she can hear it 1/4 mile away when she walks the Hell Hounds.

Can't stop grinnin' when my ears are ringin'...

[woot][woot] :blink: [woot]

Seeing as to how I rise @ 3 a. m. and play for at least an hour before I leave for work, I keep the Tiny Terror Low. Now on my seven off days after everyone is gone......... It's as loud as I can stand it. [biggrin] Since I work a rotating 7 day on, 7day off schedule I get plenty of LOUD time.

I don't play plugged in at home too much, because I rarely have the house to myself. I'm not too worried about the neighbors because I have a basement and the sound isn't too loud outside. (if any of my neighbors was a big ****** and actually called the cops over some guitar playing, we would have some serious words to say the least)

Another problem is that my son's Playstation 3 is in the basement too and he's always on that thing.

But on the rare occasions when I have the house to myself, or no one is watching TV or playing Playstation, I crank it pretty loud. Now, with my new Carvin Legacy, the volume between 1 and 2 is about as loud as I can take without going deaf or blowing out the windows.

• I sometimes use headphones in the lounge when in earshot of neighbours (they can't hear a thing)
  • My kitchen is well soundproof to outsiders and neighbours, I play at up to No3 whilst leaning against the draining board.

When in a more expansive mood I hook up wireless, adjust to No5, relocate to the lounge...using the kitchen door as a Master Volume control.

Archived