Gibson Brands Forums

do you plug your sg straight to your amp?

deelaz

I usually play my SG straight in my ac30 and it sounds great but I just picked up an MXR Classic Overdrive so I've been using that a lot lately.

It's impossible to say what the best amp for an SG is because it's all about what sound you're going for.

If you're going for an ACDC tone the new Marshall Class 5 is great for that and at a pretty nice price.

Asking a bunch of guitar players what kind of amp is best for a certain guitar is like asking them what undies are the best for a person with a large butt. No two people are going to say the same thing.

For example, I love my Mesa Boogie Stiletto, and think it's the best amp ever that is good for any type of music. (Now wait to see if anyone else agrees with me)

Asking a bunch of guitar players what kind of amp is best for a certain guitar is like asking them what undies are the best for a person with a large butt. No two people are going to say the same thing.

For example, I love my Mesa Boogie Stiletto, and think it's the best amp ever that is good for any type of music. (Now wait to see if anyone else agrees with me)

WHOA YOU HAVE A BOOGIE?!?!?!? my dad said he used to like those more than marshalls. are they discontinued?????

No effects loop on my Amp so I (as most) will plug into some effects pedal then into the Amp. If your thinking of buying an Amp how much do u have to spend? what bands do u like and what Amps are they using and do u just play at home.

Dont worry about it. experiment with your sound.

Do they still make Boogies ? ............................ :rolleyes:

IIRc there was one Mesa Model that was brilliant. Ive played one, it can do rock tones and metal tones, and Okay cleans too.. Unfortunately its discontinued now

I like my orange tiny terror, however One day I will have an orange Rocker 50 Full Stack :)

SG --> DOD Juice Box --> Cornford amp

The Cornford is set to crunch for rythm, which means I can clean up using the volume. The DOD is my secret weapons to fatten the sound / change EQ for solos - best DOD pedal ever made.

Who needs 2 channels???

I plug my sg straight into my amp. Always have, well except when i use my wah pedal. But i rarely use that anymore. I might pull it out and try it again.

But the pedal i really want is the digitech whammy pedal. I'd use that all the time if i had one.

Guest BentonC

I'm currently using one of the older Goldtone GA-15 amps, and I must say that I'm really into it right now. I normally plug into a Fulltone OCD, but I'm going straight into the amp right now because I like the tone so much.

*edit* (For gigs) I'd like to plug straight into my amp, but I at least have to go through a Boss tuning pedal. I don't use any types of OD's or distortion boxes for my sound, but I am fond of delays and flanger/phaser from time to time.

I usually go straight in to my amp, a Traynor YCV50. The combination of my SG & Traynor sound great.

The only effect in my loop is a Dano Tremolo , though I've recently picked up a Zoom G1 processor and I'm having a blast messing around with it.

It's pretty amazing the effects that you can pull out of that thing.

I usually plug my SG straight into the Blues Jr, it has such a subtle yet confident tone, then I fidget with the volume and tone knobs with the three way switch.

I do have a Boss OS-2 Overdrive I got for Christmas that I plug into when I want that dirty sound but it's not as often as straight to amp.

If you click on the "more about me on flickr" link in my sig you can see an improv run on a B Blues scale on my blues Jr, with the Boss OS-2.

Please be kind in your critique of it though, I was only testing out my new camera's recording capabilites and I just went for it, no practice prior to playing it.

When I can, I do. But, considering all the playing I do, in front of people,

is in bars and small clubs, I can't (generally) crank the amp up, enough to

get at it's "sweet spot," so have to rely on an overdrive pedal, to push the

tubes. Plus, I use a Wah-wah, and Rotary Speaker pedal, as well as a compressor-

sustainer pedal (for the Ric 12-string). So, "staight into the amp," is a luxury,

at this point. I LOVE that tone, though...when I can do that!

Cheers,

CB

i agree my dad used to use boogies, he said hey were AWESOME

• 2 weeks later...

For now I run my SG into a 93' Peavey Prowler amp with nothing in between. But I plan on adding a Crybaby, an MXR Phaser, MXR Flanger, BOSS Chorus, BOSS Delay, Dunlop Talk Box, DigiTech Octave, and Ernie Ball Volume pedal into my arsenal. I don't really care for overdrive, distortin, or fuzz pedals. To me, using a pedal to get overdrive or saturation doesn't make up for the warmth that you can only get from tubes. Just my opinion. EVH would agree with me too. Everybody has their own prefrence. Thats the beauty of the guita world. Bye.

No

I use an AC15 CC1

Boss ME50

Korg Pitch Black Tuner

I have an A/B/Y pedal and I run two lines to the 'Normal' and 'Top boost' channels.

Normal channel set to 'quite clean' so when I play gently I get a nice warm clean tone and when I play hard I get a slightly overdriven sound.

The TOP BOOST channel gives me a really cool medium heavy overdrive.

Usually the ME50 is set to clean with a bit of compression and a touch of delay to thicken the sound a little and the amp still maintains it's 'voice'

For any other effects including heavy distortion/fuzz, I use the ME50.

I mostly use the OD sounds of the amp. I prefer to keep the sound of the VOX at the forefront of my tone.

I don't currently have an SG but I play my old Explorer straight through my 5150(Peavey, 1st gen). The only 2 pedals that I own are my Boss TU-2 and Boss MT-2(no use for the MT-2). I will get a Boss noise suppressor but thus far the "hum" from the 5150 is not very loud or noticable.

hotrod

Archived