Gibson Brands Forums

More info about my Gibson A

Sorry... didn't mean to do that to ya' ;)

However, my brother and I have decided to sell it. If you, or if anyone, is interested, you can see more about it at: http://www.trishah.com/mandolin

Hope that helps a little... lol.

Go to:

My link

There will be many folks who would love to help you with your mandolin and possibly buy it.

You may have to join the forum site, but it will be worth it. They are a helpful group.

• 1 month later...

From a quick look, it appears to be an early 20's Gibson A. It's late enough (beyond mid-1921) to have a truss rod cover but otherwise looks like an early example. A serial number and or FON (factory order number) should get you a more precise date. It looks to be in nice shape.

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Just for the record, Lloyd Loar was not a luthier. He was an acoustical engineer that worked at Gibson from approx. 1919-1924. He was responsible for testing, tuning and aproving the Style 5 instruments Gibson built from 1923-1924. They included the F-5 mandolin, H-5 mandola, K-5 mando-cello and L-5 guitar. He did not work on any Style A mandolins during his time at Gibson. He was also the inventor of the Gibson TL - tenor lute. Many people give him credit for inventing & designing the Style 5 instruments, but there is NO concrete evidence to support this theory. Most likely he was part of a team of people who were responsible for bringing those instruments into existence.

You have correctly dated your mandolin as a 1922 Model A S/N 70128 as per Joe Spann's new book.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived