Gibson Brands Forums

Leslie + Les Paul

deepblue

Guys...

Ive had my Leslie 122 about a month now. All I can say is there is really nothing like it. No pedal

even comes close to sound it makes. The sound bounces off the walls. True Doppler effect.

I have it hooked up to a Switchbone ABY, and I can use it solo or at the same time as my Orange.

It sounds its sweetest when using my black LP Custom, just the vibe it gives off.

Its huge, as you can see in the picture. But the sound is just as big. I swear sometimes I feel like im

in Electric Lady studios its soooo psychedelic in here from time to time. Mine was built in 1969. I wish I

had the whole history behind it. Who knows whos used it?....Jimi?

PBFG.jpg

I bet the Leslie sounds sick with those St**ts too... I hate you :D Do you A/B straight to the Leslie? I would think you would need to send the guitar amp (ie somewhat distorted) sound to it. Kenny's right. We need sound. No fair teasing us like this.

Surfpup...

Thanks for the Kudos. It does sound great with the Strats.

Im not a setup tech by any means. You need a pre-amp to run a guitar through a Leslie. I use whats called a Trek II

Pre-amp. Its uses a special 6 pin to 6 pin conection to hook up to the Leslie. It also houses the 1/4" plug for my guitar. That plugs into my Switchbone on channel 2.

My Orange plugs into the Switchbone on channel 1.

I can use the leslie alone, or the Orange alone...or with the click of a footswitch on the Switchbone I can run them both at the same time.

As I said, im not a tech. If there is a way to hook the Orange directly to the Leslie im not aware of it. To tell you the truth id be a little nervous doing it that way as well. If I crank the Leslie it will distort. Dont forget its 40w and all tube. I just like the way I have it now.

Tim...

A Leslie speaker was originally designed for a Hammond organ. Its a cabinet that houses two rotors that spin.

The top of the cabinet has the horn. It swirls in a circular motion creating a swirling, doppler type of sound.

The bottom of the cabinet has the 15" Jensen bass speaker. A rotor swirls around the speaker and gives you a lower type swirling sound. The 40w pre-amp is on the bottom, and a crossover is in the middle.

Guitarists in the 60's realised how cool they sounded when hooked up to the electric guitar.

Im sure youve heard it a thousand times.

Cream...badge

Ringo ....It dont come easy

Gearge Harrison used it alot on Abbey Road. Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Sabbath,SRV, the list goes on and on.

Bring the R9 over and give it a go...Ill put on the lava lamps!

122guts.jpg

I remember way back in the day......................................................hauling a B3 and a couple of Leslies around for our keyboard player - who somehow managed to be strangly absent when it came time to load in and out...................................

It sounded great, but I'm sure I have a couple of compressed vertabrae to show for those days..........

So how'd you manage to score a vintage one' date=' btw? I remember when you said you got it, but I thought it was a reissue or something. There must be a story here...[/quote']

I was looking through Kijijji and I came across a guy who had 3 of them and his wife was making him get rid

of at least one. He choose to keep the ones with the wood grain finish, and sell the one painted flat black.

Its been well looked after and maintained. I asked the fella when I went to check it out what year it was

and he said he didnt know he figured the 1950's...I knew that couldnt be right because they didnt make the

122 model untill 1963...to my knowledge. After giving it a good going over I bought it, and after he delivered

it ( it was too big for my Concorde ) I took the back off and with a flashlight found the serial number and through

the good people at Hammond/Leslie found out it was made in May 1969. All parts are original, except for the tubes

which obviously would have worn out a few times in the past 39 years.

I really lucked out.

btw...One condition of him selling it to me was that if for whatever reason I want to sell it I give him first crack.

I remember way back in the day......................................................hauling a B3 and a couple of Leslies around for our keyboard player - who somehow managed to be strangly absent when it came time to load in and out...................................

It sounded great' date=' but I'm sure I have a couple of compressed vertabrae to show for those days..........[/quote']

Hahaha...As I was scrolling to the bottom of the page, I had the exact same memory. Whats up with those keyboard pricks? Drummers are nearly as bad.

Deep, I remember how cool they sounded on the KB, but I did not realize the artists you listed used one in those songs, very nice.

Hahaha...As I was scrolling to the bottom of the page' date=' I had the exact same memory. Whats up with those keyboard pricks? Drummers are nearly as bad.

Deep, I remember how cool they sounded on the KB, but I did not realize the artists you listed used one in those songs, very nice.[/quote']

Planet Caravan (Black Sabbath)..Thats Ozzy singing through a Leslie. Tomorrow Never Knows (Beatles) Lennons

also singing through a Leslie over top of a steady C chord.

The list goes on...

They are cabinets and are big enough to be considered furniture which is why you don't often see guitar players hauling them around and why keyboard players have gone digital (outside of those with roadies). But, digital just can not match the sound of a real Leslie cabinet as a Leslie is a very complex sound; as deepblue noted, it involves Doppler, phasing, tremolo and lots of delayed reflections (depending on the room).

I use a Univibe clone (Foxrox Aquavibe) for my "swirly" effect. The original Univibe was designed to try to replicate the sound of a Leslie cabinet but they fell far short of that goal. However, the designer did create one really cool, trippy sounding phaser/chorus/tremolo effect which is my favorite guitar effect outside of overdrive/distortion.

Nice score, DeepBlue. I bet Badge sounds amazing - that's probably my favorite Leslie guitar example. The rest of us will have to suffer through with our Uni, Micro, Deja, Roto, etc. Vibes, wishing we had the wallet (and the muscles) to own the real thing, <sniff>

wow' date=' I never knew they looked like that. It actually looks like a cabinet. bet it sounds great. love your yngwie malmsteen looking strat[/quote']

Thanks...I love my Yngwie Strat. Alot of people shy away from them because of the scalloped frets, but all

you need is about 30 seconds to become comfy with them. Bending notes and a lighter string touch will become

second nature in no time flat.

Man is that sweet!!! Jealous!!! I'm broke as a joke so no vintage or full-sizes for me. I was actually thinking about getting the little 10" version that Songworks makes. I think its like $400 or so. Its on the short-long list LOL.

Its a cabinet that houses two rotors that spin.

But you forgot to explain the most important part........they spin in opposite directions. That's the key element of their sound and why it's virtually (pun intended) impossible to recreate electronically.

Tim...

I always found the maple to sound a little brighter. I like the African Rosewood on the John Mayer model because not only is it a darker sound' date=' but its got a raw feel under your fingertips....kinda like our Lesters.[/quote']

I've really warmed up to the Strat I borrowed.

I hated it at first, sounded to twangy.

It has a maple fretboard and I like the way it feels.

It doesn't sound good through the Marshall, but sounds really sweet through the Vox.

It's a metallic candy apple red colour...I don't think my manhood is secure enough to own a candy apple red guitar. =D>

Probably gonna buy one.

Archived