Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J50 Serial Number Help

mtnlyon

Hi, all,

I have been trying to locate information on a Gibson J50 (specifically the year of prodiction) based on the serial number and, as you probably all know, that is no easy feat. I do not have photos to add at this time but can add those later if it makes or breaks the effort to get the year this beauty was born. The number is stamped inside in black ink and reads T3290 32.

I have been surfing the net for serial number help and will continue to do so. I the case anyone on this board can help, I thought I'd take the opportunity to make my first post.

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

No easy feat to say the least.  I'm pretty sure my Gibson J50 ADJ is from 1960 but trying to pin that down is like impossible. On the back of the headstock I have the following numbers:

15741 - What's great about this is I was with my Dad the day he bought the guitar, I was really young at the time.  I remember it was raining and I was afraid that the guitar would get damaged in the trunk of the car.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 9:33 AM, JohnTX said:

No easy feat to say the least.  I'm pretty sure my Gibson J50 ADJ is from 1960 but trying to pin that down is like impossible. On the back of the headstock I have the following numbers:

15741 - What's great about this is I was with my Dad the day he bought the guitar, I was really young at the time.  I remember it was raining and I was afraid that the guitar would get damaged in the trunk of the car.  

15741 is a serial number from early/mid 1961.

• 2 years later...
11 hours ago, Rachael said:

I’m trying to find out if the J50 I have is real and the year. It has a six digit serial number. 908781  Anyone able to help? 

Hi Rachel, it gets a little complicated with those 6 digit ones.  If it’s legit, the year looks like it would be either 1968 or between 70-72. 

If yours has “made in USA” stamped on the back of the headstock, it’s post 1970.  

Whether it’s real or not, you’d have to post some pics (use imgur to link the photos).  Lots of sharp eyed folks on here who know about that than I do.   And they may be better with the date.  I just checked what the reverb site says.  

You might want to start a new post in the acoustic room, you’ll likely get more eyes, since this is a pretty dead thread.