Gibson Brands Forums

'54 reissue neck size question

rick c

It's my understanding Gibson neck profiles didn't get historically accurate with respect to the early 50s baseball bat necks until 2003. That said, I would think the 70s and 90s versions would both be a comfortable rounded profile. But let's hear from someone who actually owns one...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone else out there agree with me, that '54 Reissues are the s**t. I think the waraparound tailpiece really thickens up the tone. Anyone else with me on this?

While the reissues are certainly "the $#!t", a real '54 is something else entirely. I've owned over a dozen Les Pauls, which include real vintage '54, '57 P90, '60 Burst and many others. The '54 was easily the best of the best. Shoulda kep' it!

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone describe the difference in neck size/profile between an early 70's version of the '54 reissue and a later 90's version '54 reissue?

would you call them chunky like some refer to with the '57?

Thanks,

Rick

Just to clarify that you are talking about the 'Black Beauty' with the P90 and the Alnico pickups. The early 70s re-issue had a chunky neck, but nowhere near as chunky as the '94(?) onwards re-issue. Thankfully neither has the awful volute that appeared on the later 70s Gibsons. The early 70s re-issue had tulip-buttoned waffle-back tuners, which I think were standard issue on the 68 onwards customs, rather than the kidney-bean tuners that I think were on the '54 guitars and featured on the 90s re-issue. The bridge on the early 70s guitar had the retaining wire for the string saddles, which was not 'authentic' and was corrected on the 90s re-issue. Lastly the early 70s guitars had the 'LE' designation before the serial number on the back of the headstock. Hope this helps.

Archived