Gibson Brands Forums

Computer problems

Gilliangirl

Why does the fan on my computer go into super duper high gear whenever my webcam is recording video? It's so annoying because I can't hear the guitar? It defeats the whole purpose of recording when the thing is screaming in the background. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Karen...

You're most likely putting more "effort" onto the main processing chip. Depending on which processor you have, it could get pretty warm processing all the info necessary for a web cam.

Heck, my work machine goes half nuts the same way when I mess with several simultaneous processor-intensive programs.

Silly as this sounds, I think that short of an upgrade on the computer which doesn't make that much sense to me if the machine does mostly what I want, I'd simply try to do some sort of a sound-deadening "wall" around the computer - but be careful not to do something that would lessen air flow so you don't fry the thing.

m

This is definitely a processor problem. Depending which processor you have your computer may not be able to handle the web cam. How old is your computer?

Try opening up the computer and dusting the insides. It could also be a heat problem.

Aren't you one of the computer whizzes here? Can't you help her without being an ***?

Rocky, Jocko is kidding. I know him well enough to know he'd never say anything hurtful. I don't know if I need new drivers for my video card? I was assuming the old computer just couldn't handle the request because it's so old?

Karen...

You're most likely putting more "effort" onto the main processing chip. Depending on which processor you have, it could get pretty warm processing all the info necessary for a web cam.

Heck, my work machine goes half nuts the same way when I mess with several simultaneous processor-intensive programs.

Silly as this sounds, I think that short of an upgrade on the computer which doesn't make that much sense to me if the machine does mostly what I want, I'd simply try to do some sort of a sound-deadening "wall" around the computer - but be careful not to do something that would lessen air flow so you don't fry the thing.

m

Fry the thing? Oops! I have taped paper and cardboard to the air vents before to shut the darn thing up. I guess maybe that's not a good idea!

This is definitely a processor problem. Depending which processor you have your computer may not be able to handle the web cam. How old is your computer?

Try opening up the computer and dusting the insides. It could also be a heat problem.

Tman, the computer is at least 4 years old. I added more memory to it last year and also dusted it out, but haven't done so yet this summer. Good idea. I'll try it. I love this computer because it's music-oriented so don't really want a new one. I just want this one to run better [biggrin]

I +1'd Tman's comment, typically when the fan goes into that kind of overdrive it might mean it's clogged up with dust and the likes. A can of compressed air might do the trick.

Are you using a built in web-cam? or is it a USB connected web-cam?

I +1'd Tman's comment, typically when the fan goes into that kind of overdrive it might mean it's clogged up with dust and the likes. A can of compressed air might do the trick.

Are you using a built in web-cam? or is it a USB connected web-cam?

It's a USB-connected Logitech webcam, fairly good quality.

Ok, then it is entirely possible the program the usb web-cam came with is a monster for memory consumption. You can check how much is being used up by initiating the recording mode, then pressing alt/ctrl/delete, and look at the task manager, and see how much is being used up. if it's a high amount then it's probably your computer's memory rather than dust. If it's a Mac, I honestly don't know how to check that.

Karen...

All kidding aside, in metaphor Jocko is right. <grin> All "movies" put stress on the CPU which causes it to get hotter - steamier if you will.

Shutting up the vents on the box may make it worse since the fan is reacting to the work the computer is doing. It might have a thermostatic control, I dunno.

Bottom line is that some older processing chips and circuit boards run pretty warm and can get fried which is why there's a fan there in the first place. So can entire circuit boards.

As I said, I've personally moved my machines so they'll be farther from me 'cuz of "noise."

m

Tman, the computer is at least 4 years old. I added more memory to it last year and also dusted it out, but haven't done so yet this summer. Good idea. I'll try it. I love this computer because it's music-oriented so don't really want a new one. I just want this one to run better [biggrin]

Well in all honesty, 4 years is really pushin' it for a computer. Yours may not have much life left in it. It's sounds like it's already got 1 foot in the grave. msp_biggrin.gif

You know, if you're using a webcam to record yourself you're almost better off getting yourself one of those Flip webcams on the cheap and use that to record yourself, then transfer it to your computer afterwards.

Check em out here;

http://www.theflip.com/en-ca/

My mother bought one of those things and just loves it! Believe it or not, we just rcently got them up here so I may save up my pennies and pick one up. She used it to tape a snippet at a Jackson Browne concert and it did an amazing job of picking up the sound and video.

Well in all honesty, 4 years is really pushin' it for a computer. Yours may not have much life left in it. It's sounds like it's already got 1 foot in the grave. msp_biggrin.gif

Actually, I just checked my receipt...... I bought it in 2004!! [biggrin] It's living on borrowed time LOL

Karen...

As I recall, the main processing chips at about the time you got your machine were going faster and faster and running hotter and hotter. My understanding is that the clock speed on the newer chips hasn't increased much, but they're designed to run more stuff - kinda like a 4 lane highway vs a 2 lane road.

So year, it's a bit long in the tooth.

OTOH, I've got one of the same vintage that I'm planning to dedicate to special projects and keep this one for regular work stuff. I'll put the older one with the old Mac that has an old interface to a good film scanner and... <grin>

Anyway, the dedicated vid cam has advantages too, but it eats computer storage and memory somewhat worse than still photos need to for most purposes.

Good luck on whatever - but yeah, you may want to look into a new computer more than a new cam. Or - at minimum - pick up an external hard drive to do a working backup of most of what you have. The weakness is if you're still running XP you may have to redo your programs which is a reeeeeeal pain if you've moved since the old machine and software were purchased.

m

did my suggestion work?

HELP!! Are you still up? It's not working at all now! I just keep getting an error code followed by a whole lot of numbers? I tried undoing the 16 bit option back to 32 but it's still not working! Freaking out a bit here! [scared]

HELP!! Are you still up? It's not working at all now! I just keep getting an error code followed by a whole lot of numbers? I tried undoing the 16 bit option back to 32 but it's still not working! Freaking out a bit here! [scared]

Okay, it's working now. Thank you!

Karen...

but it eats computer storage and memory somewhat worse than still photos need to for most purposes.

Good luck on whatever - but yeah, you may want to look into a new computer more than a new cam. Or - at minimum - pick up an external hard drive to do a working backup of most of what you have. The weakness is if you're still running XP you may have to redo your programs which is a reeeeeeal pain if you've moved since the old machine and software were purchased.

m

Milod, I am still running XP. I just finally upgraded my browser from IE6 to IE8. The new world is dragging me grudgingly along with it, but I am an unwilling participant. I don't like change [biggrin]

And you're right about the storage! whoa! Those videos take up a lot of space. I think I need to purge some of the ones of me playing guitar really badly at 0300 hours in my pyjamas LOL

Archived