Gibson Brands Forums

February of 2011

duane v

Alright feloow hacks....

My wife gave me the okay to drop $5k on a Gibson next year. I've been wanting a 71-72 Deluxe, but since the announcement of the RR Signature model. Granted I have a 1980 RR one-off run of a RR LPC, but if the new RR Sig stands true to form it will have a ABR1 bridge system) (which I love), and the pancake style bodies which I also like very much, and the mahogany neck..... These are features my 1980 RR does not have.

What would u choose???

Thanx

[quote name='R9'

Wait for the RR to come out, find out its true specs, play one (or more), then decide.

I agree with R9 if you are undecided at this point then WAIT. You have the cash available, so

buy some FRC (fire retardant clothing)... to keep the cash from burning a hole in your pocket and

WAIT (did I say that already) to WAIT.

My 2 cents after inflation:rolleyes:

I used to have a Goldtop Deluxe. Never set it up to see hear and feel it's full potential, so I wouldn't be a good judge for that. I voted for the RR because it sounds like you already have your mind set on it. If you're like me, once you get your mind set on something, there's no stopping you.

i'm not realy familiar with either of them models duane but all i can say is that you are very lucky to have such a wife [biggrin]

+1 - What he said!

You already know that you have to play them first, at which time you will know which one to bring home with you!

Sheila

Are they really going to pancake the body ? I mean it is a bad design, and although I have the ABR-1 on my SG Standard the

nashville is a better design and there is zero difference in tonal quality.

I hope Gibson goes for the pancake design [-o< .... and I hope it weighs as much as a boat anchor [biggrin]

As for ABR1, I believe there is a tonal difference, (better IMO) due to the bridge adjustment posts going directly in to the wood, as oppose to them going directly in to threaded brass anchors. But from what I've been told the Nashville bridge is much sturdier and isnt susceptible to collapsing like the ABR1 [confused]

Archived