Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson . What model ?????

Jamie James

EDIT: If this is in the wrong section..please feel free to move it. Sorry.

OK....I have been trying to find out for a while now what model Gibson this is. I was told long ago it was a Q3000. I was just told recently it is a Q400 or Q4000. I have Googled both and the pics I have found have the same body style. But I have not read a description or seen any pics of one with the same pick up configuration. Mine has 3 single coil pick ups..each one has it's own toggle switch. It also has a Kayler system. I have included pics as well. Any help would be great. Thanks.

gibson003.jpg

gibson010.jpg

gibson009.jpg

gibson004.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Nice attitude. You have know clue as to why a person wouldn't be able to check something as unimportant as this when compared to everything else in life.

Okay... peace here... it's a Victory - and you can google that and read a lot about.

• 3 years later...

It's not really a Victory. I own 3 Victorys and the headstock on yours is wrong plus the pick-up configuration doesn't match any of what the Victory models offered. It looks to be a one of a kind custom order and seeing the back of the headstock it's from the shop that does those! Also it was made in 1985 and they stopped making the Victorys in 1984. August 8, 1985 to be precise, this is going by the serial number. I hope this helps even though most of what I said was about what it's not..... Sorry.

My son has the same guitar in a bass, it's called a Q-80. Same headstock, body & decal, even color, Ferrari Red. I read somewhere that Gibson was using up the parts from the Victory Series on these models. The bass has a bolt on neck whereas this guitar has a set neck.

• 2 months later...

My son has the same guitar in a bass, it's called a Q-80. Same headstock, body & decal, even color, Ferrari Red. I read somewhere that Gibson was using up the parts from the Victory Series on these models. The bass has a bolt on neck whereas this guitar has a set neck.

Hmmm, that may be. The body is definately the same as my Victorys. Did the face plate holding the pick-ups ever get pulled? I ask this because the Victorys were all routed for two humbuckers and one single(which actually is a stacked humbucker in the MVX) with the single being in the center position. Gibson did offer a Kahler system on the Victorys as I have one! It has the Gibson name stamped on it.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It doesn't look like mine at all. Wrong headstock, different body contours, fret markers are aligned along the very top of fretboard on mine as well. But a very cool old Gibson for sure

EDIT: If this is in the wrong section..please feel free to move it. Sorry.

OK....I have been trying to find out for a while now what model Gibson this is. I was told long ago it was a Q3000. I was just told recently it is a Q400 or Q4000. I have Googled both and the pics I have found have the same body style. But I have not read a description or seen any pics of one with the same pick up configuration. Mine has 3 single coil pick ups..each one has it's own toggle switch. It also has a Kayler system. I have included pics as well. Any help would be great. Thanks.

gibson003.jpg

gibson010.jpg

gibson009.jpg

gibson004.jpg

• 4 years later...

I know this is kind of an old post, but I just came across it.

That is a Q400. The Q300 has 2 pick ups. There are also a Q3000 & Q4000 that have bolt on necks, cheaper electronics and I believe each pick up is not independently switchable... Cheaper version.

I have a Q400 prototype which, like most prototypes, has a little better materials than the production models. Mine has PJ Marx pickups for example & I believe a different Kahler. I did a lot of research but it is hard to find too much information on these. I came across someone who was supposedly a retired engineer from Gibson who said these were made as an answer to the "super strat" guitars in the '80, (such as your Jacksons, Kramers, etc) but didn't sell real well because they have that Gibson sound & everyone wanted that thinner "super strat" sound. Then when bands like Guns & Roses came along & everyone saw them playing Les Pauls people started wanting those. But most people didn't want a strat like body that sounded like a Paul, they wanted the real deal & that look.

I haven't been able to find out how many of these guitars were made in production, but my prototype is apparently one of four. (two red & two black were made) It's not like I'm sitting on a gold mine or anything because they aren't really "saute after" or anything, but it is rare & unique and it sounds & plays good. I mean it's a Gibson Custom shop guitar, right?

Hope that was some help, & I hope you're enjoying that Q400. I personally think it's a pretty cool guitar.

Q400.jpg

Q400.2.jpg

Edited by Grudge
add pictures