Gibson Brands Forums

intonation and guitar modding NEED ANSWER ASAP

andrewjunior

The only way to learn is to do. Take the neck off and teach youself intonation.

I should imagine there's a vid on You Tube on it to help.

I taught myself to do it when I was about 15. Just practise on one string.

When you intonate a guitar you are tuning it - from the nut to the 12th string and then from the 12th string to the bridge. You may need to do an intonation after a string change!

Did you mean will your guitar require a new set-up, as in aligning the neck and adjusting string height, etc.? Chances are, yes, it will require a new set up. Assuming you took the strings, pups, bridge/tail, and everything else off to do the actual relicing of the guitar's finish, you will need to set it all back up when you do the reinstall.

One thing about bolt-on necks is that when you take the neck off you may find shims have been placed where the neck is bolted to the body. So you will need to figure out what you need to do to set the neck back on to the body to get it 'true'.

If you are not sure what you are doing, learn first! Then take the guitar apart. Or, trash a cheap guitar first, then work on the better ones!

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Sheila

Go for it.........and see how it is when back together........no big deal. Now if you want to do something more advanced you

could make a whole new body to bolt the neck back on to. This is how I learned about intonation.........in that I built a new body for a neck and just put the bridge where I thought it looked the best. Ha haha....well come time to tune the thing and.................

I'd think twice about attempting to relic a finish if I were still worried about something as simple as adjusting intonation. Maybe I'm wrong and you're a total wizard at working with paint and just plain suck when it comes to guitars, but I feel you're starting off in the wrong end here.

I'd think twice about attempting to relic a finish if I were still worried about something as simple as adjusting intonation. Maybe I'm wrong and you're a total wizard at working with paint and just plain suck when it comes to guitars, but I feel you're starting off in the wrong end here.

i more than appreciate the comments and replies and how quick they arrived.

for those curious about my intentions and the guitar i'm doing it with, i've been relicing for over a year. i know what i'm doing as far as the paint goes. it's a squier strat, so it's not necessarily something that i'm worried about "ruining". and yes, i'm not great at things like intoneation.

i do have friends that know what they're doing, tho, so i'm just trying to figure out how much beer i'll have to buy to bribe them to do it for me.

Archived