Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gibsonfndr

about mini humbucers ...

Hi guys. This may sound like a silly questions but are the mini humbuckers found on the Firebirds the same as the ones found on the "Les Paul De Luxe" of 70's fame ?

I beleive so, however i have heared some stuff about there being two dfferent mounting types, one sthat mount like a normal HB, and ones that use a different mounting style.. however im not really sure

I beleive so, however i have heared some stuff about there being two dfferent mounting types, one sthat mount like a normal HB, and ones that use a different mounting style.. however im not really sure

what "worries me" (so to speak) is that the Firebird's PU do not have the same covers as the LP, no adjustable pole pieces whereas the Les Pauls do ... it then makes me wonder if they are the same.

"... the same"? Their physical dimensions are relatively close. So, one would imagine that you can put a Firebird stye minihumbucker into the slot designed for a LP deluxe type minihumbucker.

HOWEVER, the constructions of the two pickups are VERY DIFFERENT. FB style minihumbuckers do not have individual pole pieces. You can search the internet for more complete information. It is said that vintage FB minihumbuckers are more like single coil pickups and they are not like recent ceramic magnet pickups in the current production FB line.

"... the same"? Their physical dimensions are relatively close. So, one would imagine that you can put a Firebird stye minihumbucker into the slot designed for a LP deluxe type minihumbucker.

HOWEVER, the constructions of the two pickups are VERY DIFFERENT. FB style minihumbuckers do not have individual pole pieces. You can search the internet for more complete information. It is said that vintage FB minihumbuckers are more like single coil pickups and they are not like recent ceramic magnet pickups in the current production FB line.

Yes what you say makes sense that's why I ask. I figured a Les Paul De Luxe with mini humbuckers would be interesting with the "single coil" flavor the FB pick ups do ... I might try to find myself a "De Luxe" ...

I always liked the sound of early '70's Les Paul Deluxes with mini-humbuckers.

The bridge pickup alone is twangy and fendery, but with more sack.

They weren't as popular because people wanted more of everything back then, especially output from pickups. But with today's modern amps I bet they'd sound great and be versatile.