Gibson Brands Forums

Advice on speaker change

Ok.. so I have carried out one or two mods on my BC 30 (Master volume mod, replacing reverb components) and I have got a good compliment of valves, now all I need to do is swap the speakers out for some that are going to suit my style.. I play a mixture of modern/classic style with a Strat and an Explorer, I use lot of heavy fuzz and I use a HBE Germania treble booster. I'm looking for some speakers that are going to go well with that kind of set up. I have managed to narrow my choices down to:

Celestion Greenbacks

Celestion Vintage 30's

Celestion G12H's

Has anyone got any other recommendations in this price range/style? Maybe a mixture of the above would be good? Let me know your thoughts please!

• 3 weeks later...

Go to the Eminence site and Listen to some samples in their RedCoat line. Unless nothing but a Celestion will do I think you'll find what you're after with those. Another option is to check out Avatar Speakers for a couple of their Hellatones. (Avatar sells frequently on Ebay as well) Hellatones are pre-exercised and based on an exisitant version of a Celestion. A new RedCoat, just like a new LadyLuck will require some breaking-in before you can really discover the tone they can produce. I've got a pair of Hellatones in a 2x12, a 10"RamRod RedCoat and a 12" PrivateJack RedCoat; all of which find themselves hooked to modded VJ's from time to time. I've been really pleased by the tones produced by all. The Eminence website does an excellant job of trying to help you make the right decision and the Celestion site is pretty extensive in sound clips worth investigating as well. Just not real sure what your budget is... myself at the time I wanted an improvement but cost was a factor too.

Wedgie

Go to the Eminence site and Listen to some samples in their RedCoat line. Unless nothing but a Celestion will do I think you'll find what you're after with those. Another option is to check out Avatar Speakers for a couple of their Hellatones. (Avatar sells frequently on Ebay as well) Hellatones are pre-exercised and based on an exisitant version of a Celestion. A new RedCoat, just like a new LadyLuck will require some breaking-in before you can really discover the tone they can produce. I've got a pair of Hellatones in a 2x12, a 10"RamRod RedCoat and a 12" PrivateJack RedCoat; all of which find themselves hooked to modded VJ's from time to time. I've been really pleased by the tones produced by all. The Eminence website does an excellant job of trying to help you make the right decision and the Celestion site is pretty extensive in sound clips worth investigating as well. Just not real sure what your budget is... myself at the time I wanted an improvement but cost was a factor too.

Wedgie

Thanks for your reply.. I'll definitely check out the RedCoats your were talking about. I've looked at Avatar speakers, but for me to import them to the UK just costs too much. Cost is definitely a factor for me.. all the Celestions I mentioned are in the same price range of about £70-80 per speaker which is about.. $110-120. I just can't quite decide.. I'm off to look at those RedCoats you were on about.

• 1 month later...

I fitted a pair or Classic G12M-25 Greenback 8ohm (in series) to my BC30 and they seem to suit it rather well.

The BC30 is often considered rather harsh and so are the 60watt Vintage30. They are alleged to loose their nasty edge when pushed hard but the BC30 is not a 120watt amp. I would not choose these.

I have a Heritage (55Hz) G12H-30 in another amp, I have tried it from the BC30 - and I prefer the Greenbacks.

• 1 month later...

Ok.. so I have carried out one or two mods on my BC 30 (Master volume mod, replacing reverb components) and I have got a good compliment of valves, now all I need to do is swap the speakers out for some that are going to suit my style.. I play a mixture of modern/classic style with a Strat and an Explorer, I use lot of heavy fuzz and I use a HBE Germania treble booster. I'm looking for some speakers that are going to go well with that kind of set up. I have managed to narrow my choices down to:

Celestion Greenbacks

Celestion Vintage 30's

Celestion G12H's

Has anyone got any other recommendations in this price range/style? Maybe a mixture of the above would be good? Let me know your thoughts please!

Yes! Me to I was interested in all the ones you mention. Along with the blue by Celestion. Im thinking instead the Jensen P12N Vintage series!

Check this shoot out link. Think you'll love it! Go to time 2:05 if you want to go right to speaker shoot out!

Archived