Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rocky4

Rate Youself

Compared to some "professionals" who actually get paid for it, I think if they can do it, I could do it. But with you know, having a life that doesn't revolve around music I have to make money to pay the bills. So I'd score myself around the middle too, I could be higher if I wanted to, maybe when i retire B)

In the right circumstances I think I could probably be playing in a number of types of venues - but as has been mentioned, there are a lotta variables. It's not just me, though, I think a lotta people on here could - "If." I played for money years ago in a number of types of thing - but it was a different world.

For example for me, a "piano bar" type solo player... where and what kinda middle age to older audience? In a band, what style, how many people and what's the personal interplay, show expectations? Also I think that the point about "show" is very important regardless of style or type of venue or type of band/music. It's no longer a matter of "how well can you play X style" as much as it's "how well do you satisfy audiences in given sorts of venues."

Duane's band clip, for example, showed a lotta class and now he sez he is kinda lousy now. Yeah, right. On the other hand...

I think one factor in doing well as a professional is doing it day in and day out until it's no big deal to do X song instead of Y song in the "style" of show one has determined to perform in. Most of us who are relatively skilled at guitar - some of us perhaps more skilled on a good day <grin> than some professionals I've seen - could make the switch, but it's a matter of seeing and doing it as a job rather than something we do to relax after work.

The mental thing is a huge deal. I'll never forget meeting the one-time drummer of a one-hit wonder band. He was back working as a mechanic. OTOH I know a number of guys even out here who have been making a living with music for decades.

It takes skill at music, ability as an overall entertainer and the spirit of an entrepreneur. So in ways, I think the "rate yourself" as a guitar player only hits at most a third of it.

m

Duane's band clip, for example, showed a lotta class and now he sez he is kinda lousy now. Yeah, right. On the other hand...

m

LOL [biggrin] ..... I don't think I'm lousy..... I just have days when I play lousy....

The good out weighs the bad... I'm a better rhythm player and singer these days, certainly my lead playing isn't once what it was, but I can smoke AXE in a guitar duel.... but of course on only my good days. [scared]

Right now I'd rank myself at a high 7 pushing 8. If I really get serious about forming a RUSH tribute band someday, I'd have to improve some of the details of some of the songs I play which would then change my self ranking to 8 pushing 9. I have over 2-hours worth of RUSH songs that I can play very proficiently, but ranking myself at a 10 would mean I am Alex Lifeson, which I am not and will never be.

-100?

Seriously - I know most of you flashy lead guys could play me under the table, but I can hold my own writing songs and catchy lead melodies. Been playing in bands since I was 16 and I know what it takes to make it and I do not or have not had it. Having a career playing *your* music takes a lot of different factors. At this point I am probably more suited to digging a ditch and then laying in it so the next failed musician that comes by to dig his ditch can cover my worthless corpse.

So I'd give myself a 9 for potential and a 3 for realized.

For me it's exatctly like 'Snakes and Ladders''

Normally I'd say a solid two-and-a-half.

Sometimes I play well for about 10 mins and think "Wow! A big 'No. 3' is just around the corner waiting for me! 35 years of practice and I'm a 'level 3' player!!!".

Then I'll hear someone like Django or Segovia and that puts it all in perspective. I'm still just a number 1 after all.

The funny thing is; the better I get, the better they get too - even 'though the buggers are dead!!!

But hey; I don't mind in the slightest. I simply enjoy my time playing.

Actually there's one more rating...

How much is your playing part of your life you can't imagine living without...

On that one I'm a 10.

m

Actually there's one more rating...

How much is your playing part of your life you can't imagine living without...

On that one I'm a 10.

m

Same here.

I could go blind, drop out of school, and take a vow of silence, and I would still be incapable of going at least a week without playing.

Yeah, Milod, that I could give a 10 without thinking about it. I go through fits and withdraws without music, my guitar in particular.

Also, one of the pro musician jobs that we haven't really hit on is the Session Guy. Now that takes quite a lot of skill and versatility that can actually be measured to a certain point. Can you Read Charts, Play in any style, and nail it in one or two takes after only hearing the song once or twice...or even never getting to hear it because you are the one bringing the song into reality, and you have to do it to a Producers liking.

Even then, you may have the skills, but the producers don't hear "It". So even in that case, it's not that easy to rate yourself. I'd really like to find out how I rate in that sort of environment, Id' like to think I have what it takes.

Back in the day, when I was playing every weekend in bands I thought I was one heck of a rhythm guitarist. Playing the likes of EWF, Bowie, The Stones, The Temps, Sly and the Family Stone and E.C. and playing well you gotta have some talent.

I just never worked that hard as a lead player. I mean I could play Chuck Berry, Scottie Moore and Beach boys type riffs but the 80's style shredding was just never my thing.

Today I believe rhythm guitar is almost a lost art and it's a shame because a good rhythm player can really drive a band. (ala Keith Richards and Brad Whitford)

So where does that leave me? if I gotta put a number on it lets say rhythm 8 / lead 6 = a solid 7

I must be a 10 then, because I'm making a living doing music and nothing but music. But I'd venture to say that there are a lot of guitar players on this forum who are much better than I am.

Sax/Flute/Wind Synthesizer is (are?) my main instrument though. Guitar is a "double" and I do play about 20 songs per night on it.

Notes ♫

Back in the day, when I was playing every weekend in bands I thought I was one heck of a rhythm guitarist. Playing the likes of EWF, Bowie, The Stones, The Temps, Sly and the Family Stone and E.C. and playing well you gotta have some talent.

I just never worked that hard as a lead player. I mean I could play Chuck Berry, Scottie Moore and Beach boys type riffs but the 80's style shredding was just never my thing.

Today I believe rhythm guitar is almost a lost art and it's a shame because a good rhythm player can really drive a band. (ala Keith Richards and Brad Whitford)

So where does that leave me? if I gotta put a number on it lets say rhythm 8 / lead 6 = a solid 7

That's some Dungeons and Dragons figuring there, am I right in assuming you have a few character sheets hidden away in some old boxes somewhere [wink]

Personally I don't believe "Shredding" is all that important. It's definitely a skill and it's nice to be able to pull out a lightening quick barrage of legato 32nd notes, but it's a lot harder to play tasty stuff at slower tempos. My brother's the Bass Player in our band, he cut his teeth on Speed Metal but when it came time to play blues or ballads he had to really practice. It's easy to play "As fast as you can" it's a lot harder to play a certain speed on purpose.

(side note, now my Brother is a really good Bass Player that can play Like Tommy Shannon or Cliff Burton. Quite an asset.)

Bob "Notes" brought up a great point - especially for some of the younger readers.

It' ain't a matter of who's a fancier guitar player when it comes to making a living at it.

I've always considered myself a "guitar player." I've played for money in a number of different styles but a lot of "success" depended on the band chemistry or the chemistry of the venues played.

A friend is a guitar/bass player and vocalist who was on the road many years until he had the throat surgery Bob Norton mentioned. Funny thing is that he'd tell you I have more skill, (although I can't really sing while playing anything beyond the simplest bass lines if I'm on bass - he can) but he doesn't even call himself a picker. He calls himself simply an "entertainer."

We've played together a cupla times and I feel quite comfortable just laying down some simple guitar at his bass's rhythm and letting him sing away.

It's not always how fancy you play, but how well-integrated your music can be with a given style of music whether you're doing a solo or playing in a band - and how well you and/or your group can make a crowd feel their money and time have been well-spent.

m

...I could go blind, drop out of school, and take a vow of silence, and I would still be incapable of going at least a week without playing...

Which brings us to the big L. v. Beethoven problem..............

What do you do if you are a ...(in our cases 'guitarist')...and you become deaf?

Heart: 10

Desire: 10

Ability to learn songs on own: 0 Unless I can find an TAB.

Effort: 5* That's an average as sometimes I practice for hours a day (cool weather), others, like now, I'm lucky if I get hours a month!

Barre Chords: 0

Actual ability to play: 3

Do I care? Maybe sometimes. I do wish I played far better than I do, but I don't stress over it. I play for the love of it, and I play for myself. No burning desire to play publically, just wish I could nail a barre chord when needed!

Sheila

That's some Dungeons and Dragons figuring there, am I right in assuming you have a few character sheets hidden away in some old boxes somewhere [wink]

Personally I don't believe "Shredding" is all that important.

I didn't say it was important but when it became all the rage it just wasn't my style.

I'm not getting the D n D reference though maybe you could elaborate.

rythem:5

lead: 3

but im never gonna stop working my way up till im with the big dogs [thumbup] and then im gonna work till they get mad and leave. then ill be known world wide [flapper]

Well, I can play other peoples' stuff fairly well [rhythm and lead] until it gets blindingly fast anyway but since I like melodic solos my lack of speed coordination hasn't been too limiting to date for what I tend to play. Unfortunate key words here being "other peoples' stuff" though. It's my stuff that sux but I keep trying.

So:

Ear: 10

Fundamentals: 7

Technical Ability: 4

Actual Talent: i :-k

For those that don't know [or don't care [unsure]] "i" stands for an imaginary number equal to the square root of -1. Since my own songs are crap, that's about the extent of my talent . . .

Can I use a sliding scale? Bell curve???

Counrty, 50's and 60's rock? = 6 - sober a 7 (or is that the booze talking?)

Jazz... 3/4 maybe on a good day 4/5..

Blues? a solid 5 maybe 6 if my wife is mad at me...

I'm better at rhythm, love playing old stuff. Cause I'm old and I like it.

I would leave Duane rocking in the corner sucking his thumb and mumbling incoherently.

[flapper]

On a average day. [biggrin]

LOL!!!! [biggrin]

Too much tequila can also have the above affect on me as well :unsure: