Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone EJ160E

sjb66

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Red,

Before the Epiphone website went away, I believe I had read you have a "real" J-160E or have played them. I bought an Epi EJ-160E IB John Lennon and I like it, but now think I want more of the real deal. After I had watched a you-tube of a gent that had purchased the Fuller commissioned 1962 version I was wondering if you had ever played one and if so, how it ranks with the one from the 60's. I'm looking for the old Beatles sound/look in a 160E and the Epi is a nice git, but it just doesn't fit that bill with the sound. I like the sound of the old style made version with the uniqueness it offers and would only play it plugged in for the most part.

Any impressions/input is appreciated.

Thanks

Aster

Hey Red,

Before the Epiphone website went away, I believe I had read you have a "real" J-160E or have played them. I bought an Epi EJ-160E IB John Lennon and I like it, but now think I want more of the real deal. After I had watched a you-tube of a gent that had purchased the Fuller commissioned 1962 version I was wondering if you had ever played one and if so, how it ranks with the one from the 60's. I'm looking for the old Beatles sound/look in a 160E and the Epi is a nice git, but it just doesn't fit that bill with the sound. I like the sound of the old style made version with the uniqueness it offers and would only play it plugged in for the most part.

Any impressions/input is appreciated.

Thanks

Aster

Aster,

I don't have a vintage J-160E; I have a Gibson "John Lennon J-160E Peace" model, which is a reissue with vintage specs, like the Fuller's 1962 (laminated top, ladder-bracing, adjustable bridge, P-90). I also have the Gibson J-160E Standard and the Epiphone EJ-160E, which are the models that have modern specs, like solid tops and x-bracing.

I haven't had a vintage J-160E in my hands long enough to give you any meaningful comparison. However, I can give you this antecdotal impression:

A professional musician and arranger friend of mine (who plays an Epiphone EJ-160E in a Beatles Trib band as an occasional side project) played my Peace model just yesterday. He was really taken with it, and finally understood why I had been telling him all these years that the Epiphone is like the guitars the Beatles used in appearance for the most part, yet somewhat less like them in tone (due to the construction/electronics differences).

He thought that the Peace sounded exactly like the records.

Over the years, he's tried all kinds of strings (including dead ones!) to get the Epi to sound like the records, brought it to various techs to have it set up and the pickup adjusted, etc., but without 100% success. It was never quite right. He heard the sound he had been seeking with the first strum of the Gibson.

I heard it too, even more clearly than when I play it: sitting across from him when he played acoustically, it sounded just like I was hearing isolated track bootlegs. I was even happier to have it than I had been!

Don't get me wrong, the EJ-160E is fine for what it is, but it is not a faithful reissue of a vintage Gibson J-160E, and because it isn't, it just sounds different. On the other hand, it's also a fifth or sixth of the price of a Gibson reissue, so one has to take that into account when deciding how much a particular tone is worth.

If you have the means, I think you'll be very pleased with the Fuller's reissue. Again, I don't know exactly how it compares to a vintage J-160E performance-wise, but I do know that if the Peace model is any yardstick, it should sound very close to what you hear on the records.

Also, Fuller's is a highly regarded dealer; I've bought from them, and wouldn't hesitate to do so again, even if I couldn't go there and audition the guitar. Their prices are usually excellent, too.

Red 333

Over the years, he's tried all kinds of strings (including dead ones!), brought it to various techs to have it set up and the pickup adjusted, etc., to get the Epi to sound like the records

Good to see I am not alone in this neverending quest to get the Epi to sound like The Beatle records.

I too have tried everything to get it like those records and never could get it exactly to my liking. I obssess over the "I Don't Want To Spoil The Party" sound. I finally realized my Epi never will achieve 100% reproduction (kind of a "Duh!" moment), but I did get somewhat close. The closest was when I had GHS Brite Flat strings (gives it that slinky sound) and changed my G string from a wound to a plain (I now get that occassional ping that pops up on the records now and again).

The guitar sure looks the part and now with my final string formula I can get a decent approximation in sound.

Just still not slinky enough....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at a complete lose here. I don't know what else I can say to get the point across. THIS IS DESIGNED TO BE AN ELECTRIC GUITAR, PLAYED WITH NICKLE WOUND STRINGS. IT IS NOT SUPPOSE TO BE AN ACOUSTIC, PERIOD. SO IF YOUR HAVING PROBLEMS, YOU'RE CREATING THEM !!

Faded...

Interesting, not sure if the capitals were aimed at my last post? Personally I know the EJ160E is fitted with a pickup and designed to be played as an electric! That's why the guitar tech adjusted the pole settings etc. The last last sentence was a 'tongue in cheek joke!', for an advanced member 'chill out'. I'm a baby boomer getting back into guitar, if this is the standard of this forum, see ya later. Thanks,

Interesting, not sure if the capitals were aimed at my last post? Personally I know the EJ160E is fitted with a pickup and designed to be played as an electric! That's why the guitar tech adjusted the pole settings etc. The last last sentence was a 'tongue in cheek joke!', for an advanced member 'chill out'. I'm a baby boomer getting back into guitar, if this is the standard of this forum, see ya later. Thanks,

I think Faded Epi may just have faded eyesight--he uses a big font in all his posts, and all caps in quite a few. I don't think he means any disrespect. Stick around and give us another chance.

Red 333

I think Faded Epi may just have faded eyesight--he uses a big font in all his posts, and all caps in quite a few. I don't think he means any disrespect. Stick around and give us another chance.

Red 333

Red, thanks for your comment, that makes sense, also it was early in the morning for me, probably not reading things straight. I've still got to get the hang of this 'forum' stuff. Lots of helpful stuff and people on here. John Lennon is probably sitting up there, well amused with all the interest in his repro versions. He's probably thinking "I just played it, dunno what strings were on it!'. All the best, Mike

Red,

Thanks for the help on the 1962 Reissue. I think I may drop the hammer on that beauty and get it out of my head and into my hands. [rolleyes] I like my EJ-160 quite well, but it's just not going to get me there in sound and maybe even playability like the Gibby would (should I hope).

I may shout from time to time, and even spout too, but never to drive anyone away and give them bad vibes personally. MikeC, Hang in there and get back into it. I did the same about 2 years ago. Loving it. Looking to get a Ric 325 maybe too. Can't ride the bikes this winter and have to do something, or watch network TV w/my wife, [scared] and can't abide with that for sure (watching network TV that is).

Aster

Red, thanks for your comment, that makes sense, also it was early in the morning for me, probably not reading things straight. I've still got to get the hang of this 'forum' stuff. Lots of helpful stuff and people on here. John Lennon is probably sitting up there, well amused with all the interest in his repro versions. He's probably thinking "I just played it, dunno what strings were on it!'. All the best, Mike

I apologize to anyone here who took my posts as being offensive. That was not my intent.

Faded....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use D'Addario 10-46 nickle wound strings with a wound G-EXL 110W light-wound 3rd and they really sound and play great,they hold their brightness longer than any other strings that I've tried and they really bring out the Beatles vibe on my EJ-160-E John Lennon model.To really add to the Beatle vibe I use a Vox AD120VTH with a 412BN cabinet loaded with Steve Grinrod designed Wharfedales(Grinrod designed the original Vox Bulldog speakers and Celestion Greenbacks)and set the amp model on AC 30 TB and I can nail the tone of I Feel Fine and even songs like I'll Be Back.

Went and did it, no buyers remorse either. Sent the deposit for the 6-8 week wait for the Reissue 1962 J-160E. 2 days after they received the $$ a new Reissue J-160E arrived that they forgot they had on order. No 8 wk wait. Will have it shipped after the Holiday shipping mayhem. I'll have it before the New Year. Will post a couple of photo's when I get it warmed up properly. Hope my playing ability ( I mean lack of ability) is worth the investment price!!! [biggrin] I asked for some GHS Brite-Flats to be sent along too. Hope that was a good choice and play easy.

And yes Red, it is a bunch of good folks here to visit with. Thanks to all that listen & reply to my posts too!! Anyone that knows about a good-excellent condition Ric 325 JetGlo color let me know. I may be in the market to round out that sound too. (gulp)

Merry Christmas to ya'll here & Happy New Year too. "Let's hope it's a good one, without any fear" (esp. of anymore government spending that will bankrupt us like Europe). Couldn't resist that "spouting off" I mentioned in an earlier post. [rolleyes]

Aster

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Reviving an old thread here as it seems to have a lot of good info that I am looking for. So, I want to get into a Beatly vibe and was thinking of getting the EJ-160E. I read this whole post (and others) regarding string selection and which amp to use and I think I have it figured it out but please confirm for me if I processed the information correctly.

1. Electric strings will get the EJ-160E in the ballpark of the Beatles J-160E electric sound

2. Phosphor Bronze on the EJ-160E will get you decent acoustic sound and decent electric sound

3. Regardless of string choice use an electric amp

4. The EJ-160E is ‘Beatly’ mostly in appearance (with a little nod to the pickup type) but since it is solid top you will not get the exact Beatles J-160E sound either plugged in or acoustic.

So, I read people saying that the Beatles used their J-160e’s sometimes as ‘electrics’ and sometimes as ‘acoustics.

Can you all give me example of a couple of songs that fit each category just so I can reference the sound?

What exactly would Norwegian Wood be considered for example? I know that Lennon used his J-160E on that one. Did he plug in or is that considered strictly acoustic?

Thanks. Rob

• 7 months later...

J-160E's have that "Beatles" tone, both unplugged, and electric.

I think they used them, both ways, as they didn't have anything

else, acoustically, for the first few albums, except the Classical

guitar (Jose Ramirez Studio), used in "A Hard Day's Night."

The Martin(s), and larger Gibson (J-200) came later. The Beatles,

weren't really "gear hounds," compared to a lot of other musicians,

even for the time. They were pretty conservative, that way.

CB

So, I read people saying that the Beatles used their J-160e’s sometimes as ‘electrics’ and sometimes as ‘acoustics.

Can you all give me example of a couple of songs that fit each category just so I can reference the sound?

No way of knowing 100% sure (except for "I Feel Fine"), but...

Plugged in:

"I Feel Fine"

"I'll Be Back"

"If I Fell"

Unplugged:

"Norweigian Wood"

"A Day In The Life"

I once tried recording my EJ-160 not plugged into an amp but simply with a microphone in front of the soundhole and the guitar sounded COMPLETELY different. It was the "Norweigian Wood" sound. Plugged into my Vox amp and I was getting "I Feel Fine." The guitar really offers two very different sounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone, somewhere suggested using GHS "White Bronze" strings as a good electric/acoustic compromise. Tried them - they sound great unplugged, but not so good through my Vox AC15C1 (tube) amp. Will switch back to electric guitar strings.

It is the guitar of mine that I play least. It really gets affected by the climate so it is kept in its case constantly. However, this past two weeks I have it out and have been playing the heck out of my EJ-160. Have to say I have never loved this guitar before, but I have been loving it a lot now.

I don't know why, but I am just enjoying it so much now. I suppose it was because when I first got it she didn't sound exactly like The Beatles and more importantly, she didn't sound like an acoustic guitar. I'd strum an acoustic and then play my EJ-160 and just say, "Yech." Now I am used to the sound and I dig it. I also have Pyramid strings on it and worked hard on getting the G string to ping like I hear on Beatle records. I put a thin plain G string on it, put in a new saddle, went with the Pyramids and am now getting me some great Beatley sounds.

Anyway, it took a number of years, but I finally really do like my EJ-160.

• 2 years later...

when will be the new stocks of epiphone ej-160e arrive i'm very excited

I'm reviving a 5-year-old thread with some 3-year-old comments... But I was just kind of sniffing around... I think these EJ-160e's are kind of cool... looking what's on ebay, as compared to what these are going for new... So Guitar Center and Music123 has them for 499, ZZounds and Americal Music has them for 449, Sweetwater has them for 399, Sears actually says they have them at the non-competitive price of 628, and Musicians Friend has them for 349! Unfortunately, as a sale item, the 15% labor day discount doesn't apply, but still... I put one into a 'cart' to see what out the door would be. Shipping's free. But they added sales tax! I couldn't find where MF is located. Am I so unlucky to be in the same state, or do they figure they're in all states?

Archived