Gibson Brands Forums

Can a les paul do nice clean, strummy rhythm well?

cubbiesinger

I have to admit, the only ones I ever owned were 2 epiphones. I don't really remember what exactly they were, but they both had the chrome covered humbucking pups.

My style is completely different now. That was a long time ago and I played like alternative rock. A little bit heavy, usually quite a bit of distortion. Some clean but not as much. The last band I was in, I ended up with a fender tele. It seemed suited for rhythm. The lead guitarist had a strat and for some reason the LP's I had didn't jive very well. It always seemed like the LP was way too bassy or low and you just couldn't hear it with that higher sounding Strat. That's why I got the teles. I didn't like the strats sound, so I went for the alternative.

I quit all that rock and roll stuff for a long time. Sold it all and now I'm back in the hunt for a good electric. BUT, the caveat is the music I play is almost ALL clean, chords, bar chords etc. I'm a christian and play hymns and have written a few songs and like to play some contemporary. I have an acoustic, and that's it.

The question is, do any of you play your LP in the same manner I'm speaking of (clean and strummy) and get the tones you want out of it? I always felt like the ones I had were kind of "strong" sounding to do rhythm and strumming of chords. But that was a long time ago and I should've probably tried to mess with amps or what not more to find the tone I liked. But then again, I liked the tele too. But I really feel like I WANT some kind of Gibson this time around.

And do any of you have a problem with accidentally hitting the pup selector switch from time to time? A few times, not all the time, my strum pattern will hit that switch and that annoys me. It usually takes it off the pup I want it on. Can that be rewired? Or am I just barking up the wrong tree with the LP? I know it's a great lead guitar that just screams with some distortion and all that. I mean those solos on "Mamma Said" (Lenny Kravitz album) that Slash played (I think, ie; fields of joy and mamma said) are just about the best solos I've ever heard. But I'm no slash and that's not what I'm after.

Any comments are highly appreciated. Thank you.

Yes, as long as the pickups are not adjusted too close to the strings. If they are, the magnetism of the PU's will dampen the string vibration, and affect the intonation. I used to think LP's were poor at clean rhythm sounds until I played one that was properly adjusted. It's hardly noticeable when played with overdrive but will sound terrible on clean sounds. It seems to me a common adjustment fault, especially with humbucker equiped guitars.

The LP has a rich low end to it as well, so adjust the bass control on your amp accordingly.

Just because they can scream and wail, it doesn't mean they have to. Check out some jazz players playing LP's, I think you'll like what you hear. For the toggle, probably won't be a problem for you with just a bit of time to get comfortable with the guitar. Plus you were probably playing a bit more intensely back then, what you're doing now I'd guess is a bit more relaxed and/or less intense? If you're not strumming super hard I doubt you'll hit the toggle accidentally.

Telecasters are great guitars too, but as you know, a very different animal. Bright and can be twangy. But as with any guitar, it's the player's expressive melded with the guitars character that combine to give you your sound.

ETA, found

on You Tube that illustrates some nice stuff, it's Marty from Guitarjamz.com doing a lesson, but you may find the demo useful.

I agree with the others that pickup height will have a lot to do with how clean a LP plays. I also am like you in that the location of the Pickup selector always bugged me as I also would tend to hit it when strumming very easily.

There is an affordable Gibson LP guitar that fixed that for me. I was able to trade into a 1979 Gibson "The Paul" made at the Nashville facility. They were only made betweeen 1978 and 1982. In my opinion, Gibson did these right. Ebony fretboard, Black Walnut body and neck, T-Top pickups (Very vintage sounding) and best of all..... a pickup selector switch right where I wanted it!

It plays clean beautifully but can push a good amp into distortion heaven too.....

You can find these on Ebay for between $600 and $900 from what I see and I think they are well worth the $$$$$ They are likely the most affordable Gibson out there and the build quality is excellent.

Here is mine....

100_0914-1.jpg

ThePaulCloseOutWP.jpg

ThePaulClose2.jpg

ThePaulClsRear.jpg

ThePaulHead.jpg

Well, I still sometimes get strumming pretty long. And I will hit it from time to time. But probably not as bad as I used to. LOL.

The blues links don't really help me, because that is not really the style I'm talking about. But I do see that they sound nice clean. But I'm more interested in what they sound like hitting open chords regularly. I do bar chords also, but the open clean stuff is what I do most of.

The tip about the pick ups being adjusted is a good one. I'll keep that in mind. Only thing is I don't know if they'll let me adjust them at a store. Hehehehe

And LP, that is a very nice guitar. I had never seen those. I like how most of the hollow bodies have the selector switch there. Now that's a model I'll have to keep an eye out for.

I wonder if changing pickups would give them a more "mellow" sound or tame them a little. Someone suggesteda Melody maker to me, but I don't like the models with just one pick up. Because I would probably use the neck pick up more on a guitar that had two. Although I could check it out still. Or I wonder if the RI with the P-90's might not have a more mellow sound for clean? They're technically single coils, correct?

Then my dilemma is do I want to save up for an American made or just go for an Epiphone. Do you guys think there is that big of a difference?

I play an LP traditional and I get very nice cleans with it , probably better than any Ibanez I've had in the past. I think I've only hit the pickup selector only 3 times since I've had it and that was because I got carried away. I'm actually pretty impressed with the LP :)

I preffer the clean tones of a single coil loaded guitar. I love how my MM sounds, tho those are not conventional single coils... I love how p90s sound 'cause they are like something in between (great cleans, nice crunch!).

I use les pauls mostly for crunch and heavy stuff. Teles and single coiled guitars for cleans and mild OD.

Strange thing is, I coil split a les paul and it didn't give me the single coil tones I was hoping for. But puting a pair of HBs on a tele does give heavy tones. [thumbup]

As others have noted, the pickups height can have a lot to with it. I really like the sound of my Les Paul when strumming chords. But as you mentioned in your original post, the amp setting are a consideration too. Actually a big consideration. I always have to tweak the amp when I switch from one guitar to another. The amp needs to be tweaked for the individual guitar.

Never had a problem with hitting the toggle switch on an LP when strumming but I used to hit the volume knob on a Strat all the time. I would hit the volume knob just slightly each time I would strum and was slowing turning the volume down. I'd look down and see my volume at 3, turn it up to 10 and about 2-3 songs later it would be back at 3?!!?! Drove me crazy.

• 2 years later...

Dear Cubbiesinger,I have follow this thread, play the same style you do (worship also), i would like to know what was your conclusion about it, did you get a lp? how you like it? how did it work for you? at this time i use a yamaha ntx 700 (nylon) but want to go electric too, so your experience on this will be a great help. thanks

I have had good luck playing "clean" strumming and lead using a LP with P90s (single coil), playing through tube amps. My LP HB (dual coil) not so much.

The LP Humbucker plays cleans and blues ok but not as nice as the P90 LP. I like to play LP HBs with distortion.

I've used a Classic Custom or a 2008 Standard thru a Carvin Bel Air amp at church for over

3yrs. Before that, it was a Studio thru a Fender Deluxe 90. All have sounded nice & clean

no matter what the band plays, but I can get em a little dirty if need be. Have used the

Classic Custom at a couple songfests, playing rhythm beside players who are lot better than

me, and they always comment on how nice it sounds. {maybe just being nice to the old man [biggrin] }. TC

+1 on the Classic Custom. That is the other LP I own when I was discussing my 60s LP Tribute P90s. The CC plays cleans ok but not as crisp as the Tribute. On the other hand the Tribute doesn't do justice to over driven rhythm as well as the CC. (to my ears anyway) Amps used are both Tube type, Fender reverb deluxe and a Fender tweed Blues Jr.

A couple of points from me....

Epis have muddy stock pups which may explain your previous disappointment.

My Gibby Studio Tributes HB sounds superb clean through my peavey tube amp with a nice analog delay and a touch of chorus. So, yes, nice cleans are very much possible but if you want twang, buy a tele or a strat, and if you want jangle buy a semi with P90s.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this same question at one time OP. I didn't like the feel of telecasters but wanted a clean sound. Most people are wailing away on their les Paul's and its hard to get a idea of how they sound clean.

Long story short....I love my les paul for clean tone and rythem. I think the biggest part of it is to have a good amp. I use the king of clean, a fender twin reverb. I think a set of humbuckers sounds great through it. Has a bright switch to add some extra chime and treble when needed. But yea I use mine exclusively for clean stuff. Country, blues, surf, ect. I learned one trick though......turn the amp up and guitar down. If you run a high output humbucker wide open it doesn't have that smooth mellow clean tone. My first mistake was running guitar volume wide open and adjusting amp. Now I let my amp produce the volume and keep the guitar volume down at volume 2. This is prob where that " strong" sound came from you described. EQ your amp. Humbuckers have more balls than single coils on teles and stratss so you have to tame them down for great cleans.

Go try some for yourself though. I love the clean humbucker sound and maybe so will you. Just remember AMP UP.....GUITAR DOWN [thumbup]

I have to admit, the only ones I ever owned were 2 epiphones. I don't really remember what exactly they were, but they both had the chrome covered humbucking pups.

My style is completely different now. That was a long time ago and I played like alternative rock. A little bit heavy, usually quite a bit of distortion. Some clean but not as much. The last band I was in, I ended up with a fender tele. It seemed suited for rhythm. The lead guitarist had a strat and for some reason the LP's I had didn't jive very well. It always seemed like the LP was way too bassy or low and you just couldn't hear it with that higher sounding Strat. That's why I got the teles. I didn't like the strats sound, so I went for the alternative.

I quit all that rock and roll stuff for a long time. Sold it all and now I'm back in the hunt for a good electric. BUT, the caveat is the music I play is almost ALL clean, chords, bar chords etc. I'm a christian and play hymns and have written a few songs and like to play some contemporary. I have an acoustic, and that's it.

The question is, do any of you play your LP in the same manner I'm speaking of (clean and strummy) and get the tones you want out of it? I always felt like the ones I had were kind of "strong" sounding to do rhythm and strumming of chords. But that was a long time ago and I should've probably tried to mess with amps or what not more to find the tone I liked. But then again, I liked the tele too. But I really feel like I WANT some kind of Gibson this time around.

And do any of you have a problem with accidentally hitting the pup selector switch from time to time? A few times, not all the time, my strum pattern will hit that switch and that annoys me. It usually takes it off the pup I want it on. Can that be rewired? Or am I just barking up the wrong tree with the LP? I know it's a great lead guitar that just screams with some distortion and all that. I mean those solos on "Mamma Said" (Lenny Kravitz album) that Slash played (I think, ie; fields of joy and mamma said) are just about the best solos I've ever heard. But I'm no slash and that's not what I'm after.

Any comments are highly appreciated. Thank you.

I find the clean sounds on the LP Studio kind of 'plunky' and tough to get used to. It is just adjusting to the solidbody guitar. I also play a hollowbody which, does clean nicely.

I have a LP Classic Custom, which has the Classic 57 pickups, and it gives crystal clear tones. When playing lead and wanting clear tones I keep the selector switch in the middle, but for rythm I prefer just the bridge pickup. The guitar is exactly as it was when I bought it, no need to adjust pickup height to get the clear tones that I like.

Archived