Gibson Brands Forums

Any Queen Fans Here?

Artie Owl

Freddy Mercury and Brian May were some extra talented dudes, next time I've got some cash I'd like to shell out for a decent greatest hits album. My fiancie and I went to see a tribute band because we scored free tickets and they were pretty good, but the guy doing the singing was no Freddy. Still the guitar work was solid on the band's part and it was an all around enjoyable evening.

I ask if anyone likes Queen because whenever we do a "who do you hate / who do you love" Queen never seems to come up.

Are they a very under-rated band or is their popularity still alive and well today? What do you think

I love them.

They came along at exactly the right time for me. The perfect mix of just-pre-teens (me - not them...) and great Power-Pop Music. And what great music it was.

They, along with ABBA, are one of the relatively few 'commercially-minded' bands whose music will still be listened to with pleasure for decades to come, IMHO.

"Don't Stop Me Now" is one of my favourite 'Pop' releases.

Old Queen from 1973 till about 1978/79 was amazing. After that I wasnt fussy about it.

I know exactly what you mean.

My wife was complaining that the CD we borrowed from her aunt could NOT have been "Queen's Greatest Hits" as she knew almost none of the tracks. She was right; It was "Queen's Greatest Hits Vol II"...

Yeah, Queen's awesome. They had a perfect mix of ballsy rock energy, virtuosic lead guitar playing and great, radio-friendly songwriting. My favorite Queen tunes are "Seven Seas of Rhye," "'39," "Tie Your Mother Down," "Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy," "Hammer To Fall," "Spread Your Wings," "Dragon Attack," "Staying Power," "A Kind Of Magic," and "I Want It All." I have to admit that I was a pretty huge Queen fan when I was a kid of around ten to twelve, and I went through a phase (it feels in my mind like it lasted for a decade, but it was probably only a few months) where I essentially listened to Queen exclusively (much like my more recent phase, where I've been listening to mostly Judas Priest for the past month and a half.) Brian May was and is a really killer guitarist, and I think he might have been my first exposure to really blistering, technically-advanced lead guitar.

I do still love Queen. Every now and then I'll pull out my copy of their '86 Wembley Stadium show and watch, and remember how much fun it was to be a kid, when Freddie Mercury was God and Santa Claus wrapped into one, and it didn't occur to me that there were other bands which were as good as Queen (besides Rush, which was another old favorite of mine during those years.)

I remember playing Fat Bottom Girls when I was a college DJ. It hadn't been approved by the station manager. I was attending a pretty straight laced university at the time. I got a call from the communications professor and a reprimand from the Dean. lol

Totally worth it!

I should say so! Stick it to the man, Cookie! "Fat Bottomed Girls" is a great song.

Hey, just out of curiosity, what university did you attend? I might know someone who currently attends?

I was lucky to see them live four times, first time is when they supported my heroes Mott The Hoople and then on three other occaisions. Queen 2 was always the best for me, still is. More raw and less polished that the later stuff, all of which is good.

Jock

Never really a huge fan but I saw them last year with Paul Rodgers. Totally brilliant! Brian May - he's one of the guitarists that almost make me wish I'd never picked up a guitar - he's so good and I'll never be even close! If that makes any sense.

Great songs and always well crafted. Favourites - Tie Your Mother Down, One Vision.

Queen is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian May has one of the most defining sounds in rock!

I mean you hear a Queen song...you HEAR Brian May...

and I always thought it was cool how each member of the band wrote songs and they all collaborated with each other on them!

No ego's amongst themselves!

And find me a better/more powerful singer than Freddie...I dare you!

Maybe Steve Perry from Journey...but thats up for debate and Freddie always wins in my opinion...

in fact this might have to be a new POLL!!

whomever amongst us is fluent enough in forum-ese...set it up!

I still put my money on Freddie...but next to him Perry was definitely second best...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived