Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Center Labor Day weekend sale

Silenced Fred

I must admit I have found some good deals at GC on holiday sales..you can get great deals on used stuff..but you have to ask about them (here you do anyways) they don't put all the used stuff out on the floor... In Idaho they have to hold all trade ins for 90 days to make sure they aren't stolen,,so I ask the salemen to check and see what they have that is a week or so from comming off hold...I make offers on them before they hit the floor...you can get some killer deals.

I was at my local GC yesterday browse'n to see what deals where around they had 2 of the faded LP for sale both where on the wall, also had a 61 SG RI on sale. Nothing else caught my eye or ear except for a used mint Gibby doublecut faded TV Yellow with P90's reduced to 749, used the 15% coup down and out the door for 683 with tax. Deals can be found.

I was at my local GC yesterday browse'n to see what deals where around they had 2 of the faded LP for sale both where on the wall, also had a 61 SG RI on sale. Nothing else caught my eye or ear except for a used mint Gibby doublecut faded TV Yellow with P90's reduced to 749, used the 15% coup down and out the door for 683 with tax. Deals can be found.

Did you see how much that 61' RI was? I knew it was on sale, but when I looked at the list of sale items, it says "Too Low To Print!" Bunch of bullsh!t..........dry.gif

I looked at the list of sale items, it says "Too Low To Print!" Bunch of bullsh!t..........

No it's not.

If it's a new item, it cannot be advertised below M.A.P. or Gibson will pull their franchise.

No more Gibsons at GC.

(Actually, I kinda like the way that sounds...)

Rumor is, that's what happened with GC and Rickenbacker years ago - no Ricks at GC.

All I ask - Tuesday, somebody who purchased anything at the GC sale fill us in.

Is the guitar new?

Does it look new?

Is it complete, with no missing parts?

Did you get a case with it? For how much?

How much did you pay - compared to what you were told?

(No need for a number, did you actually get your deal?)

How were the people you dealt with?

GOOD LUCK!!!

[flapper][biggrin][blink]eusa_clap.gif :P B) :D :blink: [thumbup]

OK – it's not Tuesday yet, but here's my Guitar Center Labor Day sale experience. I wanted a travel guitar – GC carries the Traveler Speedster for $349.00. It fits my requirements, but it seemed a little too expensive for what it was. The Labor Day sale price was $299.00 – with the 15% coupon (which they did accept) it was down to $254.15. Good enough, but of course it's never simple.

Is the guitar new? Depends on your definition – I don't see any evidence that it had been sold before, but it was on the floor and had a good dose of "Guitar Center Smooge" on it. No nicks or scratches.

Does it look new? It does now that I've cleaned it – see above answer for the condition I bought it in.

Is it complete, with no missing parts? See below answer about the case – final answer, yes.

Did you get a case with it? For how much? It came with a gig bag included in the price of the guitar, and they had the proper bag there. However, this little guitar has a removable arm rest, and the arm rest wasn't in the bag. There was more than one of this model on the floor, so I asked them to go back and look again. He came back with a different, slightly larger bag, which did have the arm rest in it. He said the larger bag was the "newer" model . After doing a little research when I got home, the bag I got is for a different model – took it back the next day and swapped it for the proper bag.

How much did you pay - compared to what you were told? Got the deal described above – exactly what I expected.

How were the people you dealt with? I worked with two guys – both nice enough. First guy admitted right off that he wasn't familiar with this guitar – fair enough, I have no problem with someone being straight about their lack of knowledge on a specific item. The second guy pulled the "this bag is the newer model" line– that kind of annoys me – I'd rather just have someone admit they don't know. When I took the wrong bag back, I dealt with a third guy – also good to deal with. He got me the right bag, made sure the truss rod wrench was in it (the first bag did not have a wrench in it.) More importantly, he didn't go through trying to "return" the wrong bag through their computer system, which I expected – he just took the wrong one and gave me the right one. Also importantly, no one tried to sell me an extended warranty, strings, picks, humidifiers, polishes, etc… - this could just be because it was such a minor purchase, or because they were pretty busy, but it was a refreshing change from my usual experience there (I've had them try to sell me the extended warranty for a $30.00 tuner.)

The last thing I'll mention is their computer checkout system. I've been buying things (not many guitars, but lots of little things) at Guitar Center for years. About half the time they can't find me in their computer system. I consistently get flyers in the mail and e-mail from them, so I know they have my addresses. Earlier the same day that I bought this guitar, I picked up a cable at another GC (we have several in my area) and they found me in their system right away. That evening when I'm buying a guitar – no sign of me under name, e-mail, phone number, etc… Not a big deal, as I know they already have this info, but giving it again and again is annoying.

So, bottom line – on the plus side I got what I wanted, when I wanted it, paid the price I expected to pay, and had reasonably good experiences with the people I dealt with. On the minus side, I had to explain to them what was supposed to come with the guitar, had to clean it, made two trips to get everything correct, and had to give all my personal information to them again.

If I had not dealt with GC before, I might have come away with an overall negative impression. Having dealt with them for years, and having a good idea of what to expect (my expectations having been lowered over the years) I came away with an overall positive impression this time. Like many forum members, I'd much prefer to buy from our local independent guitar stores (few and far between as they are) and don't mind paying a bit extra to do that. In cases like this where GC is the only place that carries what I'm looking for, it usually comes down to how much of a hurry I'm in to get it – Internet dealer if I can wait, GC if I can't.

BTW – this little Traveler Speedster is a cool guitar for what I wanted it for (travelling, duh!) – full scale (24 ¾"), 22 fret, 28" overall length, 4.5lbs. The pickup pretty much sucks, but it will only be played through a Roland Micro-Cube or Vox AmPlug, so it's good enough. I was more concerned with the feel and playability, and it feels and plays great.

Not sure if it's true, but I was told by a sale person at Guitar Center that the 15% coupon is good for Gibson and Fender products except for the custom guitars. A few years back GC let me use one of their coupon on a used Gibson ES 135. Sam Ash will also honor GC's coupons.

I guess I'm lucky enough to have the House of Guitars around. No coupons needed there. I got my ES-339 Figured Top brand new for $2,200 at the HOG. Compare that to GC's "lowest guaranteed price" of $3,250. Unless GC allows double coupons they are never going to be able to compete with the HOG.

I can say some things that GC did that were shady, like selling half used Virtuoso cleaners (I didn't notice it was half full till I got home)... But they went above and beyond to keep me happy even offering a Special Order (where Gibson would make me a guitar from sctratch and offering to take care of the difference). But I ended up choosing this 68 Custom from the store. I'm pretty happy with GC and my baby B)

trib.jpg

Archived